jhnrb 150 reef

The base cabinet is an all glass cabinet and was required to keep the tank warranty in force. The canopy hood was built.

yeah im with you there, got to have that warranty with that nice equipment. well thanks for the reply and again awesome tank.

Couple pics with all lights on, water circulating, and cycle in full gear.

IM004081.JPG

IM004082.JPG

very nice jhn...hard work pays off....me and my wife are following closely your project...and we have enjoy it a lot..also we have learn a lot!!!..awsome...

Thanks to all that visit my thread. I hope that through my build you have gotten some ideas of what to do and maybe also what not to do. anyways I enjoy hearing from each of you. Im now working back in the shed and bringing on line the rest of the equipment. Ill post some more pics soon and an update. For now the euro reef skimmer (RC-250 came with a GX-6000 pump.) pump kept shutting down, suspected thermal relay inside pump. as it turns out the GX-6000 was never designed as an outside pump and tended to overheat. I did put a fan on it and it seems to have solved the problem and Ordered a replacement Eheim for the up grade price to resolve the problem long term. Cant complain as I bought the skimmer over a year ago and just getting it up on on line, so bout all for now.

hey, where's all the green and brown stuff that's supposed to be growing in there? :)

Its on its way very soon I assure you. I dropped a couple pieces of uncured figi live rock in the sump so should not be too long before some algae shows up. the refuge is up and running with some cheato so will see. my salinity is a bit high right now so I would expect algae to appear as I adjust it down.

yes, video please. that would be very cool to watch! never mind fish or corals. we want to see/hear pumps pumping, skimmers skimming and water swishing in sumps/refugiums. (insert tim the toolman grunt) great idea rigo!

yes, video please. that would be very cool to watch! never mind fish or corals. we want to see/hear pumps pumping, skimmers skimming and water swishing in sumps/refugiums. (insert tim the toolman grunt) great idea rigo!

My 1st saltwater tank was in 1972. 55 gal, 20 gal, 30 gal. natural sunlight, no skimmer, undergravel filter, 3 inches of bright green algae on the entire back glass. Anemones, lion fish, clowns, sea horses, angles, etc. so I think I will just leave it at that for now. The fish, corals, things that go bump in the sand will come soon enough. Thanks for the comments and observations.

Last edited:
Well,
Verrrrrrrry Nice set-up man Well thought out
What is your Guess on the Cost to date !
Is this something you have been saving for for YEARS

Looks amasing Dude ! I truly Envy you !

All told, some where around 12-14 thousand with the Equipment room and generator and generator shed. well simply put on how do you afford something like this, well, I do not go out to dinner, I do not travel, I do not go to the movies, I dont do cars, dune buggies, motorcycles, boats, etc. Im a home body with a high maintenance wife that likes yard work. so if you add up all the money you spend during the year that you do not need to spend, you would be surprised on what you will have the funds to do. Saltwater and reef subjects are my passion. Thanks for the question and thanks for visiting the thread.

Everything is just so awesome. I wish I had the self dicipline to be a home body like that. it makes my setups in comparison look like a goldfish bowl haha. cant wait to see more.

Everything is just so awesome. I wish I had the self dicipline to be a home body like that. it makes my setups in comparison look like a goldfish bowl haha. cant wait to see more.

Each system is a gem of its own. if you are having fun with your system that is all that counts.

Back