Justin's 125 build

Oh no mods sicko alert now he wants to come to my house to see mine....:mrgreen: lol anytime you want to see my tank come on over. But you need to bring the beer I dont drink anymore

I really thought it was going to be the "Maybe you should invite me over to see yours" part of that, that I was going to catch hell for... Nicely done Biff!

Edit: Lol, Dammit you ninja

come on over Justin, your invited anytime. Ill even buy the beer if you pay for your travels, however I think you would be better off traveling to Cuba NY to see Ryans tank. his tank is full of awesomeness!

OBTW i cant wait to see everything come together here. your so close!

Well... After 4 days of mixing I still can't see the back of the tank. Obviously something is wrong. After some investigation, I have determined that I have a bacteria bloom because the RODI I used came straight out of the filter without any heating and my tank, though it's at 77 now, was close to 50 on Sunday. I went to the LFS today and got a Phosban reactor and filled it with carbon. Hopefully this will be cleared up soon so I can get my livestock moved into the DT and get it all up and running.

Ughhh! Another set back... One of the bulkhead fittings is leaking. I pulled it apart and inspected and cannot find anything wrong. I put some silicone on the rubber washer and re-installed it and will let it set over night. Hopefully I will find it to be leak free tomorrow... If not, then it's back to the LFS again...

Well The bad news is that the bulkhead fitting is still leaking this morning and I am not comfortable trying to make it work... at this point even if it doesn't leak I would always be worried that it will. In a moment of clarity, I have decided to go check out some schedule 80 BH fittings at a plumbing supply store, They are not as pretty but I think I will sleep better at night knowing they won't leak.

The good news is that the carbon has the tank mostly cleared and for the first time, I can see the back panel. I am optimistic that I will have everything sorted out by tomorrow!

Sorry to hear of the set back. But I think you're right in getting the other fittings, that way you can always feel confident. Good luck with it.

Because Southwest Aquatics FORGOT to order my bulkheads with my 90 that I got in August, and then FORGOT to order them again (even though they said they'd get them in in a week), and then told me it'd take AT LEAST A MONTH for them to get in the bulkheads that I pre-paid for with the tank, I was forced to get all of my plumbing supplies from Lowe's and Home Depot.

It's doable, and it's much cheaper.

Theres nothing fun about a leaking bulkhead.But those schedule 80's should take care of that.
Good to hear its clearing up to.

Well the schedule 80's fixed my return side fittings, then I filled the overflow box only to find one of my returns leaking and though I bought schedule 80's for those too, just in case... They cannot fit. I took it apart and filled it with a TON of silicone. It's inside the overflow box where it's out of sight so I loaded the silicone on. If it still leaks tomorrow I'm going to be pretty upset. These fittings suck to begin with, but I think that the hole saw I used was slightly too big even though they reassured me it was fine. If this doesn't work then I'm going to have to special order some different ones to fix it... Pray the silicone fixes it!

I am pleased to say that the silicone seems to have worked. The tank is fully plumbed and is operational now. I finished filling it and turned it on. It is so cool to finally see it running! I am going to let it be through the rest of the weekend and then I'll get started aquascaping and moving sand. I'll post pics as soon as there is more progress!

Ha, Thanks. I have way too much into this build at this point to give up though I was near my breaking point yesterday.

Back