Kizmar's 120 gal

The New Sump

I finally got my new sump up and running. Man is it nerve wracking changing a sump like this on a running tank. About half way through I was wishing I hadn't started the process. All said and done though, it was worth it. I almost doubled the amount of water in the system as a whole.

The new connects under the tank (with new bulkheads). The old sump is still under there.
under-tank.jpg

A shot with just the skimmer bin up and running...
skimmer-bin-up.jpg

The whole sha-bang! (My DI tanks are in this room, the R/O is in another room.)
full-shot-running.jpg

This is what I'll use to add reactors later...
future-reactor-things.jpg

Top view of the bins...
bins-top-shot.jpg

The LR and Cheato bin...
LR-cheato-bin.jpg

I still need to get a ventilation system set up for that little room it's in. Right now I have a fan pointing at the door and keep the door open a little bit.

Those Rubbermaid Roughnecks do flex a lot but they seem to take it really well. The plastic doesn't look like it's being stressed at all.

Took this today. The lights are in the early stage of sunset mode.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJo-HPtpIo&feature=youtube_gdata]120 gal Reef Tank (young) - YouTube[/ame]

Looks awsome. Sucks your nem is in the far corner, would look really nice up front.

Actually, as you enter the room, that nem is the first thing that catches your eye because you walk in on that side. :)

I think once it's larger it will stand out more from the front, but yer right.

Here's a time lapse of the EcoTech Radions running the sun rise method... :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu0s_BMB8Ow&feature=youtube_gdata]Sun Rise - YouTube[/ame]

/sigh ... So I'm sitting here waiting for my nem to finish face-planting so I can remove it from the tank. It's been a few weeks now since it's started looked stressed. I thought it was going to pull through, but it's taken a bad turn in the last 24 hours.

Very disappointing. The clownfish are still trying to host even though it's face-down and barely holding on to a rock. Depressing.

This is the second small nem I've tried to keep. Both deaths I'm pretty sure are attributed to trying to keep a Chocolate Chip Starfish in my sump for a few days and it dying. I still have a trace of Nitrates in my tank. I've been doing 20% water changes every week and it's not dropping. Not sure what to do at this point.

Seems like it's one thing after another. Getting pretty discouraged. Definitely not buying any more starfish for the Harlequin. It's going to have to live on asterinas from now on.

Luckily... and hopefully I don't jinx myself... but luckily everything else in the tank seems to be doing fine. /cringe

Egg crate is my new favorite material. It's like lego's; with enough of it and some zip-ties you can make just about anything.

Made a frag shelf and cheato cage.
IMG_3756_zpsa7b47fa0.jpg

IMG_3755_zps8b537d3e.jpg

I'm using it to block jump areas so I don't end up with fish in my overflow again.
IMG_3763_zps4260b721.jpg

IMG_3762_zpsa3d6fbbc.jpg

IMG_3764_zpsab05606f.jpg

I'm also using part of the anti-jump wall to hold my overflow float switch in place.
IMG_3781_zps0e01aa54.jpg

I finally got my ATO system set up and running. Hopefully the tank is one step closer to having stable params. The last piece of the puzzle is getting a calcium reactor... or start with kalk and see how that goes... still haven't decided on that one yet.

Back