Marinne's Reef

Tanks looking awesome. And +1 to Mario. When snails die, they rot horribly inside the tank. Causing possible ammonia spikes (depending on the amount that die) which leads to excessive nutrients for bad algae to feed off of and continue growing. How many snails do you have in the tank?

@mariobrothersleeve: A good way to acclimate snails if you aren't sure if they're truly dead or not is to take a empty folgers can (plastic one) and sterilize it with a couple of drops of bleach and then rinse it out really well. Acclimate them in it to the correct salinity and ph. Leave approximately 1-2" from the rim of the container void of water. Once that's done, take the entire container and place it inside your tank so that it rests underneath the center brace. The air at the top of it will keep it from sinking down and the brace will keep it in place. Periodically over the next few hours peek in at the snails. Whatever ones have started to attach and move around are alive. The ones that stay on the bottom and never move are usually dead. This way will help you isolate the live from dead without causing any problems inside your DT. Hope this helps! :)

I got rid of a lot of snails, still have the diatoms but only on the sand...I will just give it time, I have been doing weekly WC's but considering going to bi weekly as I so want some nutrients for my LPS

it is, just been really busy with school and summer activities. My husband just tore all the ligaments in his ankle this past weekend so I will prob have more time in the house lol

he was riding my quad and almost high sided so he dumbly put his foot down...he was even wearing motocross boots

here are some updated pics...sorry, summer is way to distracting lol

also my female clown died, I ordered a snow onyx from alpha aquaculture...at least I thought I did, they sold my fish on accident so the owner called and sent me a 180 dollar black ice!!! I only paid 75 total

Attachments

• 20140613_104124.jpg
    20140613_104124.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 20140604_103858.jpg
    20140604_103858.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 20140604_103938.jpg
    20140604_103938.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20140613_104525.jpg
    20140613_104525.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 189
Glad to hear all is well :). I've been having a hard time keeping some clowns alive lately too. Where we sell them out of, I have no problems, but keeping them alive in my personal tanks... has been annoying. Kind of gave up lol

Yeah its weird...the female had no physical signs then I had a snowflake get white splotchy parts on him and now my black and white male is getting it, they eat like champs so who knows

It could be brook or velvet

Mine haven't been so much disease related fatalities lol. More like, stray voltage in the tank destroying stuff. Power heads ripping them to pieces. Getting sucked down the overflow and landing on the filter pad. You know, the USUAL?! stuff -_- lol

Dang! That sucks...I had 3 tanks up but cant handle during the summer and have had some family drama

Its sad that my 65g fowlr looks better than my reef lol...I really want a big tank but I also love ripping around on my quad

I pissed off am old guy memorial weekend...said I was going to fast and he had never seen anyone ride like that before. When he realized I was a chick he froze lol

It's not that I can't do it, I just don't have the money for all of them...I want my tanks to have all the bells and whistles which is not doable

well my 65G got velvet I am sure...all had blotchy white spots and breathing hard

I am going to leave it fishless for 8 weeks and try again and the best part is, I swapped a small zoa frag to my cube from that tank

what are the odds of my cube getting velvet from a frag?

Did you drip any of the water in it? Because contamination occurs very easily when moving stuff from one tank to the next. And, leaving the tank fishless for 8 weeks doesn't mean velvet won't come back. People have had it reoccur anywhere from weeks, to years later. It's a pretty horrible disease. They make a two part solution for it, that is reef safe, and has had some success stories accredited to it. I forget the name of it, but looking online should help you find it. I had it in my 55. The only way I got it to start coming back was to take down the tank, and clean it with bleach, acid bath for the rocks, and all new sand/water. It succcccks :(

Back