My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

Dam, that is horrible, gf's are always trouble!

but who the hell would have stolen your lights?!! bastards..

good luck with it :) Cant help you with RODI units from australia

I bought a small peice of LR today to help with the cycle and to start seeding the little bit of dry rock i have.

Has anyone ever tried the rock from liverockusa.com or tampabaysaltwater.com? I'm trying to get about 40lbs of rock just wondering if theirs is any good.

Tampabay is a great place to buy from. Their customer service is the best I've experienced from a company and their rock always has little to no die off when you get it. On top of that there's always a lot of hitchhikers that are included in his ahipments

That's suck you have to start over and someone stole your light! Sorry to hear that.

If you already have a LR, you don't really need more LRs. Just get some dry rock from Macro or ReefCleaners. Much cheaper and they will color up in no time.

Look at my tank. On the left hand side, only 4 pieces of them were LR. Half of those were bright white color just a little over a month ago. On the right hand side, i put those white one there only a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
I wish I knew what happen to my light too, I think think of why anyone would take them. I don't know anyone else who has a saltwater tank. It just seems weird, but I know when I moved they sure werent where I left them.

Has far as rocks go I am just getting dry rock I cant afford to buy all LR I wish I could but it is just not possible right now. I bought some dry rock from macro I really wasnt happy with what I got from them

Really? Everyone seems to be quite happy with macros'. I got mine from ReefCleaners since theirs are even cheaper. I really like the varieties of the size and shape that I got. The white ones in my pictures are ReefCLeaners'.

I guess the rocks werent horrible but I needed to carve out the soft spots they werent very porous at all.

I think Im gonna try the rock from reefcleaners I was just looking at their website.

Click on the picture of my tank and you can see the full size photo. Click on it one more time to see the actual actual size (it's very very big). Scroll to the white rock and you can see the detail of it.

One of my poweheads just came in today it is a koralia #2. How much flow should I have? I want to get atleast one more powerhead prob the samething will that be enough flow in a 29 gallon tank?

My test kit is also on the way it should be here monday maybe tom but i doubt it.

I also ordered a RO/DI system today.

My RO/DI unit came in today, it was so easy to put up. it took 5 minutes at the most. I didnt believe it was as easy as everyone said

Does anyone use a HOB Octopus Skimmer?
I was looking at this model OCT-BH-100SS does anyone have any opinion on this model?

Will it work good enough on a 29 gallon tank?

Or can anyone recommend another brand HOB Skimmer that works well?

The rest of my rock came in today along with my powerhead and testkits. looks like my cycle is coming close to ending the nitrites are coming down and the nitrates are starting to climb.

I will take some pictures when my girlfriend comes over.

Trying to see if pictures work
New Rock
will add ore later

Attachments

• DSCN0503.jpg
    DSCN0503.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 230
I like your rockwork Bryan, it looks really good.

Does anyone use a HOB Octopus Skimmer?
I was looking at this model OCT-BH-100SS does anyone have any opinion on this model?

Will it work good enough on a 29 gallon tank?

Or can anyone recommend another brand HOB Skimmer that works well?

Octopus makes great skimmers and that would be more than enough for your tank. I can't give you a review of it but, I did just order that same model today.

I'm not sure if I like the rock yet, I feel like water is not flowing through and around it good enough.

BL1 let me know how that skimmer works out for you it will prob be a month before I'm able to get one. Which brings up a question will I be able to get by without a skimmer for a littlbe bit as long as I do my water changes? There is nothing in the tank right now other than 1 turbo snail and 2 blue leg crabs.

Attachments

• Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Live Rock.jpg
    Live Rock.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 217
  • middle 8-13-2010.jpg
    middle 8-13-2010.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg