My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

I gave marcorocks another chance. They are the ley largo rock and right now they have free shipping on it, so i went ahead and bought some

I have an aqua-c remora skimmer on my tank. I like it, but it did take a while to break in. I like the new rockscape!

I have a quick question.

I have what looks like a chopper colored algae growing on my sand and starting to spread to the rocks, it has not been real bad but today it really took off. Can someone tell me what it maybe and how to deal with it?

I will try to take a picture tonight when i get off, and also test my water

Diatoms.

Common in young systems.As the system matures it will become less of a problem,usually.Once the cycle is complete,astreas,trochus,nerite and cerith snails will consume it.

^ He's right. There really isn't anything you can do about it. Just wait it out... But if you are using tap water, that can contribute to the problem.

Well my tank finished cycling, I rearranged my rock a little nothing big it just made it a little more stable and made me feel a little better about it.

I am still having a problem with the diatoms, I have 2 turbo snails, 3 astrea snails, and two blue leg hermits. They are doing a good job with it, it is just growing so fast. One of my turbos got stuck behind some of the rocks a couple of days ago I thought he was just being lazy until I started moving my rock and saw he was stuck.

I also went to pick out my first fish, not really sure what I was going to get, my girlfriend tagged along and the first thing I heard was "look its a nemo fish" and needless to say there was no talking her out of that one.

I have started saving up to rebuy my lights...which really sucks. I also still need buy buy a protein skimmer.

Im also planning on building another stand I dont like the one I have now. It does not have enough room under it for a sump. I will prob have to wait until Christmas Break to build it for time reasons.

Attachments

• DSCN0531.jpg
    DSCN0531.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Rocks redid.jpg
    Rocks redid.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 230
  • redid 2.jpg
    redid 2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Nemo.jpg
    Nemo.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Nemo 2.jpg
    Nemo 2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 205
I forgot something maybe someone can tell me what it is.
I cant get a picture of it, it is to little. I have seen it a couple times. It is a small worm of some sort maybe. It is about 1" long maybe 1 1/2" but is extremely thing like the size of sewing thread, greyish color and has white dashes down the length of its back like this ---- not connected

any help would be great sorry for not having a picture

Really you'll just have to wait out the diatoms, they feed off of the silicates from new sand in your tank. After the diatoms use up all of the silicates your algae bloom will go away. It's ugly but everyone gets it.

That's a good looking first fish! A good choice too as they're very hardy for beginners

I forgot something maybe someone can tell me what it is.
I cant get a picture of it, it is to little. I have seen it a couple times. It is a small worm of some sort maybe. It is about 1" long maybe 1 1/2" but is extremely thing like the size of sewing thread, greyish color and has white dashes down the length of its back like this ---- not connected

any help would be great sorry for not having a picture

It sounds like either a spaghetti worm, or the legs of a mini brittle star?

It's definitely a little over kill, you could get away with a single 150w MH fixture, for probably less money too

Ebay is blocked for me at work, and something to consider other than overkill is if the light will be too wide to fit on your tank?

Thanks for the help eveyone I just happen to see it as I was looking around on ebay. I figure it would be to strong I just thought I would ask.

Back