My first tank - 60g

While pulling apart my tank today to move the lionfish to the other tank, I found out that I have accidently killed my Pink anthia. She was hiding under the rocks and when i picked it up to move it didnt run, but instead got impaled by the rock :(

poor thing, hard choice, do I tell the gf who had affectionately named her barbie and said it was her favorite fish or just replace it? :P

Replace it!What she doen't know won't hurt her.LOL,no I'm kidding.

That purple queen anthias are one of the most difficult anthias.If I was replacing it,I would go with an easier anthias-lyretail or bartlett maybe.

Yeah Josh just be honest with her. It's not like you did it on purpose did you? :) Of course not, she'll understand. Sorry for your loss. :(

Hahaha yea, she was a little bit shattered :P but she said I have to get another one that looks the same! lucky thats easy with anthias ;)

sucks losing things :( and this one I PRETTY much murdered myself :(

Oh, and I know they are hard to look after, I heard they struggle with food? but they look great :) and Ill see if I can make it thrive in my tank. It was very shy for a while though.

Sure,they sometimes takes a long time to get them to eat.Even when they do,they can still be slow getting the food compared to other fish.It's also very common for them and most anthias to carry worms.

Ill remember that, didnt know that about them. But unfortunately, this is now a must have in the tank ;) got my gf to start liking reefs :P

Did a bit of shopping with my brother today, HE picked up an Octupus tank :D its not big, but the species of octopus is fair dwarf. Ill be posting a tank thread for this guy soon :)

I myself picked up a few things for my tank. An anemone which is open and staying in one spot, not bad i dont think :)

Thick spined urchin
Starfish (not sure what kind)
Orange plate x2 one for matt in his tank
Torch coral which we will try with the octopus.

028fd.jpg

024os.jpg

022uu.jpg

012ba.jpg

The octopus is pretty cool. We are going to train it to wrap around our arm so we can hold him. Gonna be a bit of work though.

But he should be happy fairly quickly. Currently the octopus is under the rocks in the sand. Im just too tired to get pics and a thread setup haha

Ok, thought I would do a full inventory of my tank after the first 4 months.

Fish:
1x firefish
1x PJ Cardinal
1x Foxface
2x Black and white clowns
1x Flame angel
1x Green mandarin
1x Lawnmower blenny

Invertebrates:
Turbo snails - 2
Nassarius snails - 5
2x sea cucumbers
2x peppermint shrimp
1x red lined shrimp
1x brown starfish
1x blue linkia starfish
10x hermit crabs
1x Magnificent Anemone

Corals:

Duncan colony - huge
Hammer colony - huge
Galaxea
3x brain corals
Long tentacled plate coral
Short tentacled plate coral - large purple
Short tentacled plate coral - medium green
Short tentacled plate coral - small orange
Bubble Coral
Sun Coral
Golf Ball Coral
Fluffy morph
Red morphs
Elegance coral
1x acro

fairly sure thats everything in my tank. Fairly heavily stocked though for 4 months ! haha

Thanks Hiker and biff! I think I should stop adding fish and let them grow before I overdo my tank! :P

Time to just find some amazing looking sps and lps corals.

i thought i might give an update after returning from my trip. the tank seems to be doing relatively wellexcept for my elegance coral. while i was away the urchins decided to knock everything over. so my hammer coral ended up stinging it too hell and I'm not sure it will come back to life and i saw a little bit of bleaching on some corals which is now getting better.

on fish, they all seem to be fine except i lost the cleaner wrasse. (which i now know i shouldn't have had :( )

I'm fairly impressed nothing has gone wrong! everyone here seems to have disasters happen when they go away.

also, the thick spined urchin has been banished... it was wedged between a rock and was irritating my anemone which wasclosed up after i moved the urchin.im hoping theanemone didn't release any toxins. but that urchin is now in the predator tank. his fault!

soon will be picking up some new items as well. hope i find something i like!

Back