NCPARS Spring Frag Swap at Penn State U

That naso is a bastard. It's probably close to 10". It was also going after the PBT, but that was a stand off. A PBT isn't exactly mellow.

Anyway, here's what I picked up. I sold a bunch of stuff, so after it was all said and done, all this ended up costing me $10. :)

Tyree 20,000 Leagues lokani. I'm not all that impressed with this piece.
lokani_4-18-09.jpg

Tyree Sunset monti
sunset_4-18-09.jpg

ATL Rasperry Lemonade nasuta
nasuta-rasp_4-18-09.jpg

ReeferMadness Rainbow nasuta
nasuta-rainbow_4-18-09.jpg

ATL selago
selago_4-18-09.jpg

And I won this on the raffle. ORA Scripps green stag. It was a huge frag for ORA standards, but I broke it in 4 pieces trying to cut the damn plug. ORA plugs SUCK. This piece was about 4" tall. Now I have a 3" piece, a 1" piece, a 1/2" piece plus the plug is fully encrusted.
ora-scripps_4-18-09.jpg

Last edited:
Capt the only thing that I have seen that reliably cuts ORA plugs without breaking the coral is a diamond bladed bandsaw.

You picked up some really nice stuff! Thanks for sharing all of the great photos, Im definately bummed that I didnt make the trip but due to the photos and shear size of the swap I'll definately have to make the next one.

Ryan, there were a couple guys there from Buffalo. The Reef Creation (I think that's their name) guys...Keith & Randy were there. I'm sure you know what kind of stuff they have.

I thought the best part of the swap was Eric Borneman. What a nice guy. He hung out with us all day. If you didn't know who he was, you would think he was just a regular person attending the swap. He even stuck around and helped clean up after the swap! If anyone ever gets a chance to see him speak, it's well worth it.

borneman_4-18-09.jpg

Last edited:
A Reef Creation is pretty much the only shop that I use, we have another GREAT shop in Buffalo and two Great ones in the Roc but ARC is my favorite by far! Capt those guys ALWAYS have top notch stuff. Keith and Randy have been in the game for quite a long time, great guys with a ton of knowledge.

CCAPT.... I really like the Tyree Sunset monti !!!! Are they usaually available ?? Will they be ok with 150 w DE halide ??

they are pretty easy to find but they are pretty expensive, and your lighting is plenty for it, but if your going to pay for a sunset have the person your buying it from prove lineage so you can know they arent ripping you off

Ray, I've seen the Tyree Sunset monti at the last 3 swaps we've had so it's pretty easy to get. Our next swap is in October in the Allentown, PA area, not far from Something Fishy in Northampton. Todd from SF will be sponsoring the event. That's probably not too far from you.
Your lighting is fine.

Back