need an idea marine gods

mikej2336

Reefing newb
i went to my LFS here and found a moorish idol and to my understanding this fish is really hard to keep and im only a ROOKIE is there any truth about this guys? plus, i want the whole crew of the movie "finding nemo" like the royal gramma basslet, black spotted puffer, moorish idol, 2 clownfish, regal tang, yellow tang and i'll add yellow tail damsel coz of her color..now my question would be this, what will be the sequence in buying them? i have 75g bow..thanks n advncd. marine gods esp. biff and all the rest its been a big help readin the forums here..

moorish idols should be left in the ocean and a regal tang will be two big for a 75g, and i would skip putting any damsel in your tank, they are bastards

Just send your money to me. If you buy a moorish idol it will die. I don't think any puffers are really reef safe and a regal tang will get way to big for your tank.

clowns are always good starters and the yellow tang wouldnt hurt, but it might outgrow the 75 also, and i would pass on the puffer unless you wanted a predator tank and i dont think thats what your going for

The whole finding nemo 'crew' wont do well.

To summarize what the 'gods' will say;
Dont buy the moorish idol.
The whole crew is to much for your tank.
I dont think the puffer would get along with em.
You could probably go with the clowns, yellow tang, and royal
You forgot about the shrimp (pepe or something)

Heniochus are called the poor mans moorish idol because they are usually not as expensive and are easier to keep, but they both require tanks larger than a 75. I kept a moorish idol for about a year, until it outgrew my 110, they are not easy fish and can be very finicky to get feeding. When you get more experience and upgrade your tank to something more in the 6' long range than they can be a very good fish, but most people simply don't have the system for them. Not to mention that they tend to pick at coral.

Definitely skip the moorish idol. Not a fish for a beginner, or a small tank. McCrary -- you are the only person I know of that has managed to keep one for more than a couple months!

A 75 gallon tank is too small for all those fish.

Puffers are not reef safe, but if you want to go with a fish only tank, then you could keep a puffer.

You could keep the yellow tang and regal tang, but they'd outgrow your tank eventually. Plus, regal tangs are very prone to ich, and are usually difficult fish to keep also since they get sick so easily. And once they get sick, your whole tank's got it. I would not put a regal tang in there, but it's possible.

When I did decide to get one, there were no other fish that could be considered aggressive, I had the resources to be able to pick one from dozens that was small and in very good health upon arrival. I have had a pretty good amount of experience with tricky fish, including Regal Angels and was able to devote the time to get it eating. Rob actually got the fish from me and was able to find it a new home. This was when he had just opened and a couple months later I asked about the fish and he said it was still alive and doing fine. So, they seem to be fairly hardy once acclimated and eating, but they don't seem to compete well for food and are not good shippers. There are a couple guys on RC who have great success and have them for years and years before they die of old age or whatever. A trick seems to be to get "soft and moist" pellets and put a dish down at the bottom, use an airline to target the dish and feed the idol, so that they don't get out competed. Keeping them in a pair was also speculated as another factor that could help them, but I have no idea how true that is.

I have nothing to add to the fish arguement except that I noticed that you said you needed a starter fish. I hope for the fishes sake you mean a first fish after the cycle, not a live fish to cycle your tank with. Maybe I read it wrong but a sacrificial lamb is not necessary anymore. Research has show that the old approach is not needed....and you wont have a bastard damsel in your system.

Oh god please dont call me that! MR. G is my dad not me.

Hey, we all have to grow up eventually:mrgreen: .... well, physically anyhow.

I have young soldiers in my military unit that weren't even born when I joined. I just keep reminding myself that I'm just a young guy compared to my grandfather:D

the puffer will eat the gramma and clownfish. the nemo crew is just pretty for the movie, but not practical at all. plus the puffer gets about 2 feet long and is a monster of a fish.

I have had some small success with moorish idols in my experimenting with them. they are tough to keep and need to be the biggest fish in the tank and with passive tankmates. they are slow eaters and really seem to enjoy angel and butterfly portions from san francisco brand frozen foods. I would avoid them unless they are the king of the tank

-Doc

Fish question, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no Morish Idol, no a**hole Damsels, no clowns if you intend to have any corals. Clowns are really just Valley Girl versions of Damsels. Puffers are nice when kept alone. Well I guess that leaves the Gramma. How many fish can be kept in a home marine aquarium. Multiply that number by about 90 percent and that is how many reasons I have for seldom ever buying or keeping a marine reef fish.

Back