NewPortRichey's Tank Rebound!

I believe if you close off the air a bit it will travel farther down the collum and give you more contact time. I use a Euro Reef and that is what I had to do. the more air the less circulation of water, and the less air the more circulation of water pushing the air farther to the bottom. good luck keep us posted.

Ok, this tank cycling is driving me nuts. I've still got no signs of the start of a cycle. Readings are as follows:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0.1
Nitrate = 1
PH = 8.0

Everything seems to be flourishing. I didn't even lose any of the inverts in the move. Craziness. I guess I'll just be patient and keep wiating and watching. Here's some pics. I finally got my K4's. The flow isn't what I expected. I've ordered two more to eliminate the dead spots. And they're a little bulky. Enjoy the pics. Comments welcomed.
Full Tank Shot:
DSCN0775.jpg

The Anemone Is Fine. So is the a$$hole clownfish. Cought him chewing on my sand sifting star fish again.
DSCN0776.jpg

Saw this little bugger behind the anemone. One of 4 peppermint shrimp.
DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

And the shrooms are doing fine also. Look at the one at the bottom right stretching waaaaaaaaaaay out. I should have the new MH light setup on thursday. Until then.............

I never have fed any of my shrooms.
They'll get what they need from your water,and the micro bits of food when you feed your fish.

BTW
The tank looks great.

With those K4s,Remember that they put out a wider flow pattern than a regular powerhead.So your actually more flow,with out the narrow stream.Which is better for your corals.

Thanks Yote! Much appreciated. I just realized my photo didn't post in my initial try. These things are really reaching for the light.

Wow, I can't get over how loud the magdrive pump is. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative quiet pump? This thing is driving me nuts.

Jhnrb and others have made the MagDrives a lot quieter by putting rubber feet on it and then putting more padding under that. Hopefully he'll see this question and show you what he did -- there was a picture of it in another thread. Basically you just need to make sure there's enough rubber underneath it to absorb all the movement.

If you want a better pump, go with an Eheim. I have been using an Eheim 1200 as a return pump for a while and they are super quiet. The fans on my lights are louder.

Thanks Biff. I did see that post and pictures of his setup. I've tried suspending the pump in the sump and still the same sound. We'll see. Thanks again.

Nice start Newport,I too have a mag and its loud and annoying.I'm also in search for a new quieter pump.It seems like the smaller mags are nice and quiet but the bigger ones are noisy.

hmm. does it chatter or just make vibrating noises? i run the mag 9.5 and it's perfectly silent.

weird, my is making a horrible vibrating noise. i've got it sitting on top of a piece of filter pad but it doesn't make any difference. even if i suspend it in the sump i still get the same thing. :confused:

HOLY SHIBBZ! Just noticed that my Hippo Tang's right eye looks like it's going to pop out of it's skull! Could he have scraped it? I'm going to try to get a pic of it before the lights go off.............

If this does not solve your problem, you have something wrong with the pump impeller assembly. pump housing, or wrong impeller assembly.
IM002719.JPG

IM002718.JPG

Last edited:
Back