Putter's first tank

man! I love that tank! I was looking at one just like that on craigslist yesterday. complete setup with 100 lbs of live rock, sand, corals, fish, sump, lights etc...... for 800 bucks. if I weren't poor and broke I would have one just like yours in my living room as we speak.

That is a great price, would have been nice to find one for that price! Thanks for all the compliments on the tank, sure wish I had some rock to put in there, aww hell, no matter I guess, even when I get the rock in I will be wishing for fish, then corals, then a bigger tank, then......well you all know how it goes LOL.

Thats a good looking tank.And if you ever get to the end of that wish list,let me know.
Mine just keep growing to.

Great setup. You made a good start with all that equipment. The stand looks so shiny, is it acrylic too? Thats an awesome tank

Yeh the stand is acrylic as well, also have the canopy for it, which I just unwrapped and put up, did some measureing, and the LED lights I want will not fit in the canopy:frustrat: might have to hack the top of the canopy up and bolt the light fixture to the top of the canopy:grumble:

and on the P.S. the TV is nice....watchin the tank will be even better!!

So I filled the tank to the point that it will circulate, ran the pumps and the skimmer, skimmer was making bubbles like crazy, then overnight it quit making bubbles, I mean it still makes them, but just barely! Have I broken something or would this be a normal break in type of thing. The skimmer is the ASM G1X.

Thanks Sammy, will plug it all back in and watch the skimmer try to make bubbles. Another question if I may, the drain on the tank is very very noisy, I have read some on stand pipes to help cure this, are these pipes just a piece of PVC attatched to the bulk head for the drain? If so is there a limit to height, or can I make it so the water does not have to fall in the overflow box at all?

Man I have to start looking in the DYI before I ask here, found the DYI silencer thingy project and will try to build that and see how it goes :)

Last edited:
Thanks Dominick, I ended up trying the HGB that was in the DYI section, other than the fact that I need to redo the stand pipe (need to lengthen it about 2 more inches) the actual HGB seems to work well, I had the tank near the top of the overflow and there was little to no sound other than the pumps running, I hope tomorrow when I redo the stand pipe that when I cut the power to the return pump the water will remain contained in the sump and I will be able to relax a bit more when I have the tank that full. It seems to be a bit of a balancing act to regulate the flow from the tank through the sump!

Do live rocks much care about salt levels? With all the messing about the last couple days my level has dropped to 1.010 and I really don't want to mix any more salt in until I figure out how much water I will have to get rid of to place the rocks and sand. Of course if rocks are fussy about this then I will head out there right now and mix in some more salt so that it is all ready for the rocks and sand tomorrow.

hypo salinity won't kill the bacteria on your rocks that make them "live" althou, I would not push it much past where you are at.

-Doc

It probably would kill the bacteria but pods/brittlestars/feather duster worms and other small hitchhikers might of though.

Glad you got everything squared away on the DSP.

Thanks again, I guess I could always mix it now and then just siphon the extra into a bucket and keep a lid on it until the first water change, don't wanna kill any friendly critters that would be on the rocks.

Thanks again, I guess I could always mix it now and then just siphon the extra into a bucket and keep a lid on it until the first water change, don't wanna kill any friendly critters that would be on the rocks.

That would be your best bet.Any inverts thats on your rock wont do very good with a salinity under 1.023.

Well the rock and sand showed up and are in the tank, got the salinity up to 1.023 (will work on getting it a bit higher over the next couple days) Ordered the light, didn't think I would be recieving it until mid January but it is on the way now. They said the solaris I4 were on back order but when I called to ask about pre-ordering he said he had one he could send me. So a few days down the road, a small cut and HACK job on the canopy and I should have some sweet looking lights.:bounce::^::^:

Ok pictures to follow...be brutal if you need to be, but be honest...what ya think of my first attempt of aquascaping?

Back