PVC question

nickerber

Reefing newb
I joined the forum last year and I haven't been very active, but I have become a reef junky. The learning curve on reefing is amazing!

So I have a basic PVC question.... I have a 55 gal with Eshopps overflow, and an Aqueon Proflex sump. This weekend I built a PVC return. This is my first attempt at anything DIY. I used vinyl tubing and PVC to go from the sump back to the tank. The guy at Home Depot was an older guy in plumbing and he said that I shouldn't have to cement the PVC because I'm not pressurizing it (compared to home construction standards) and it should hold w/o cement (friction only). Do other people really do this? Is cement absolutely necessary? I'm just looking for some opinions, I know safe is best and cement is safe, but I was just curious.

I'm not sure about the return side but, on the overflow side on my tank I didn't cement the PVC together for ease of maintence. However, you do have the chance of small leaks, and there will be a large salt creep build up at the joints I hated that.

So PVC glue is safe to use in a tank then? How long should I let it dry? I know it bonds almost instantly, but wondering about cure time then. And the PVC its self? Schedual 40 ok?

Sorry about hijacking your thread

Back