Returning to the hobby

Growing and propagating zoanthids and Paly. In general, any coral that thrives on more nutrient rich water. If he was going forcing sps dominant tank that would be a different story.

My point was, he should run one or the other. Do his research, and come to a concussion based on what his plans are. Me personally, I would never run an algae scrubber. For numerous reasons. That is a decision I made for myself. However there are quite a few people out there that use them and seem genuinely happy with them.

My point was, he should run one or the other. Do his research, and come to a concussion based on what his plans are. Me personally, I would never run an algae scrubber. For numerous reasons. That is a decision I made for myself. However there are quite a few people out there that use them and seem genuinely happy with them.

lol, I dont think coming to a concussion would help me :P I kid, I kid. Im wanting to have a tank where I have some options of keeping whatever I want, eventually I want to keep anemones, coral, inverts, and an assortment of appropriate reef fish possibly a snowflake moray (Ive read mixed responses to keeping an eel in a reef tank). Im kinda heading in the direction of just putting some live rock and macro algae in the sump along with the algae scrubber. what do you guys think? Oh and thanks for the help guys!

I use a scrubber as opposed to a skimmer. Like Fast said, you pick one of the other. I've used a scrubber for 2 years. Here's the pros and cons.

IME, if you run a scrubber, SPS will grow very well...But softies will not. They will survive, but they won't spread with out actively feeding them.

Scrubbers are very effective at removing nitrates and phosphates, which in turn prevents algae from growing in your tank.

If you get the eel you should most definitely add him last.
I had one who ate everything I put in after him. I took him back to the store about a month or so ago.

Back