Sad Anemones

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I have two frog-tipped? anemones and one bubble rose? anemone. They look sad. Very blah...not their 'perky' selves. I checked all my levels yesterday...and everything was fine but the calcuim was down to 400mg...could that be why? I added a calcium supplement. I feed them occasionally. Thoughts? Thanks.

Your tank is very young to have one anemonie let alone 3. They are very hard to keep some of us have great success while others try and try and never succed. goodluck :Cheers:

i dont thnk it is all about having a mature tank. i think alot of people say that but the big reason that they do not survive is because a new person does not have the husbandry skills yet to properly maintain that tank to keep it stable and clean enough to allow the nem survive. many do not have the right lights either

Calcium wouldn't have anything to do with it -- and 400 is just fine anyways.

Like others have said, anemones rarely seem to be able to survive in tanks that have been up and running for less than a year.

Are they eating, and are they losing color?

I have had luck with BTAs in new tanks, but as daughtery notes, lighting can be an issue. My lights are brighter than the sun. I am not sure if that is the secret to my success, or if I am just lucky.

Interesting points. Thanks everyone.

The only change I've made recently is I've started adding iodine drops because my iodine was low and a couple of shrimp died. Could they be reacting adversely to the drops?

I do have a very bright LED light My tank is barely 6 months old. I do feed them approximately once a week. The frog tips seem to eat okay. I don't think the rosebud has ever eaten from me. My salinity has been pretty constant at 1.023. They aren't losing any color....although my white anemone is looking very brown. My temperature is about 78 during the day and drops to about 75 at night.

When you say frog tips, I'm kinda confused. Can you post a picture of them? There is a frogspawn coral, but it's not an anemone. I don't really know of anything called a frog tip anemone. Do you mean bubble tip anemone?

My Red Anemone is still sad too. My water is fine, my temp is fine, nothing has changed in the tank. He's just sad. He went into hiding and hasn't come out. Maybe they hibernate in the winter ??

I'm calling this a frog tipped...(probably wrong!)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5869.jpg
    IMG_5869.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 848
I'm also calling this one a frog tipped...(this is what it looked like a week ago...now it's not looking too happy)....

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_5856.jpg
    IMG_5856.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 833
I'm calling this one a rosebud anemone?...(it has never opened up any more than it is in the photo)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5871.jpg
    IMG_5871.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,089
Those frogtips are Condylactis gigantea or condy anemones.The rose is a Entacmaea quadricolor or rose bubble tip anemone.

Whar kind of LED lights are you running?

I have a Lumen Aqua 100-200VAC 50/60hz....

I also have blue lights that I run...not certain what they are.

I have my blue lights on 11 hours a day....and my LED light on 9. Maybe they aren't getting enough sunlight? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

I don't have a link to my lighting...as I bought it at my local fish store. Plus...I'm computer inept....so I probably couldn't figure out how to post a link anyway. I can BARELY handle photos! :frustrat:

Maybe I should increase my light. I was running my LED light 10 hours...but my electric bill was $300....so I started cutting back. I can't cut back if I don't have happy anemones!!! It's probably not my LED light causing such an increase in my electric bill....they're supposed to be good on electricity. We recently put on an addtion, and I'm thinking that might be the culprit. :lamp5:

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my rose bubble tip anemone (thanks yote!) to come out? It 1/2 curled up in this rock ALL the time. I've never really seen it and I've had it for a few months. :dunno:

Back