Sad Anemones

I'm surprised with the salinity suggestion of 1.026....I was told by my fish supplier that an ideal salinity is 1.023. Now I'm curious---what does everyone try to keep their salinity at? Maybe that's a problem for me. Thanks.

1.023 is great for fish only systems.But most corals and inverts like it a bit higher at 1.025-1.026.
I keep mine at 1.026.

Ursula,something I just though of.Do you use a hydrometer or refractometer to check your salinity?

Wow. Thanks. I'm going to take your advice...next time I do a water change, I'm going to increase the salinity (slowly)....I had no idea. I was told 1.023 is ideal--and my LFS knows I have a tank with fish, crustaceans, coral and anemones (they set it up!)....Thanks.

I have a refractometer. Is that a problem? It's fairly new, so I feel it accurate.

Raising your salinity will be good, but that's not what is hurting your anemones. Your salinity is not low enough to do any harm.

I'm gut still tells me it's lighting with the sad anemones. I'm going to increase my hours per day....and watch what happens.

Well, I'm still having trouble with my Red Bubble. I have plenty of lighting, it seem he's trying to get away from it. He has went clear back under a rock near the back of the tank. I have no idea what to do with him now. I have left him alone, and he still gets further towards the back.

Attachments

• 100_0399.jpg
    100_0399.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 188
Mine looks a lot like yours Sunshine. I have a rose bubble tip...and it always looks like this. Never reaches out for light or food. Can't get it to eat anything....

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 278
I know, and everyone thought it was the lights, I have T5's. This is what he looks like now. He does open up some what, but he still is not happy. Like I said, mine seems to want to get away from the lights. I thought it was the flow, but I put him in a no flow area, that's when he moved back further. And there is no flow where he is heading either. Maybe a cocktail will perk him up ... :Cheers:

Attachments

• 100_0411.jpg
    100_0411.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 187
Anemones are just tough, tough animals to keep. I really don't think most people should have them -- they just die over a period of a couple months. It could be so many things making them unhappy: lighting, water quality, flow, changes in parameters, etc. It's really tough to say, because they can be profoundly impacted by the littlest thing.

My condy anemones seem to be doing well. They must be hardier.
The rose bubble tip has never been happy. Bummer. It's the prettiest.

Back