Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

Great shots!!

Im just a tiny bit worried about the scratch on the tangs face, it might be the start of HLLE, so I would feed high quality stuff more often just in case and be sure to keep your water quality up. It might just a scratch, but just to be cautious

Haven't updated in an age! But I added this little guy about 3 weeks ago, and he's doing great.

DSC_0264.jpg

He doesn't have a name yet (the longest I've had a pet without a name....), and he's kind of a scaredy fish. There was a little aggression initially, but things have settled down nicely. I was worried about the interaction between tangs, but other than some tail flashing and chase the first 3 or 4 days, they've been ok with each other. The real aggression issues came between Ash the dwarf angel and the newbie! Ash chased the newcomer around for almost 2 weeks before deciding to let him alone.

In other good news, Hermione's scratch cleared up just fine, so no HLLE worries!

DSC_0252.jpg

My yellow tang has officially been named! He's been here for a while now, and I just couldn't come up with a good name for him, so I eventually just asked my 2 year old what his name is. He looked up at me, serious as a heart attack, and said "Poker." And then he gave me the 'well, duh' look. My child knows nothing about poker, never even seen anyone play cards. I have no earthly idea where he got the name from. But every time you ask him what the yellow tang's name is, he says "Poker!"

So the literary theme is somewhat abolished, my yellow tang has a name, and my son has thoroughly puzzled both his parents. But that's ok. Just another day in paradise!

Yay for names!! Glad to hear an update - I've missed seeing you around here :) And that is too funny about your son LOL. What happened to Lily?

Lily disappeared a month and a half ago. I'm seriously thinking my emerald crab got her when she was sleeping. Little bugger! Oh well. And I've had a lot less time to hang out on LR since my son quit taking his afternoon naps. That was my time to take pictures, post, and cruise the build threads. Now it's all toddler, all the time! He's busy watching Monsters, Inc right now, so I have a few minutes to look around, but it won't last for long!

How do you like the carribean blue tang? I wanted to get one for
My 93g cube but wasn't sure if it needed a bigger tank.

I love her. She's been really hardy and is about 6 inches long now. She was about 4" when I got her and was just coming out of her transition to adulthood. She doesn't look particularly crowded, and is very social. She doesn't pester my other fish, other than an occasional tail-flash at Poker. And she eats like a PIG! She isn't a bit shy, and will come to eat nori sheets right out of my hand. Her colors are gorgeous. She makes great use of the space she has and loves darting in and among the rocks. She is one of my favorite fish. I really recommend the Caribbean Blues to anyone looking to add an Acanthurus to their smaller tank.

Thanks for the info! I just love tangs but don't want to rehome it eventually. But the blue carribean is looking like a fine choice. I did want a purple tang but i think they need a bit more space. Also I have a cube tank so idk of they would affect the fishs health or happiness. I do have a lot of arches, dives and ducks for the fish tho. Did you get it off of live aquaria?

I love tangs too. I really wanted a purple tang as well, but the Blue Caribbean has similar colors and seems to do well in smaller tanks. My tank's longest dimension is 4', and like I said, she doesn't seem crowded at all. I don't know how she would do if it was a shorter tank though. She does use all her space, but she doesn't do a lot of straight line swimming. It's more weaving in and out of the rock work. Same with my yellow tang.

Another update! I just ordered an Orange Striped Prawn Goby and a Cream Angel from LA. They should be delivered on Tuesday. After these additions, I'm only looking to add 2 more fish, probably a pair of black ocellaris, although I'm not entirely sold on them yet. With the 2 tangs and the cream angel, I'm sort of at my max for larger fish. I may eventually consider a dottyback or a basslet, but I think after the clowns, I'll be really happy with the fish stock list. Everything seems to get along decently, and I don't really want to rock the boat by adding another tang. I really would like a bristletooth, but I'm just not sure about adding it in with an acanthurus and a zebrasoma already established. And the cream angel is supposed to be a pugnacious asshat once established, so we'll see. Either way, I'll be at my 9 fish limit after the clowns, so I wouldn't be looking to add anything in a hurry anyway. Just going to sit back and enjoy watching the tank mature!

Back