So this hobby is addicting huh??

Pauly

Reefing newb
So iv only been keeping marine fish for a little over 2 months... N I'm hooked.
If I could afford it I would dedicate half my house to being an aquarium.

But today I did make a big step and put a deposit on a new tank.
And aqua one, aqua reef 300... N I can't wait to get it home!!

It comes with sump, skimmer etc already built in (saves me making a mistake trying to make one)

Once I pick it up, put the rocks n stuff in it I'll put up pics!

Does anyone have any recommendations of fish that would go with:
2x clowns
1x blue hippo tang

The gf wants a banner fish (I assume they're safe enough)

The clowns are going to be compatible with almost anything that isn't super-predatory, but your new tank is too small for a blue hippo tang. They need 6-8 foot (182-270 cm) long tanks to live comfortably for the length of their life. Your tang will outgrow your tank, so you might as well rehome now, before it stresses out, gets sick, and dies.

Are you planning on having a reef, or are you wanting fish-only? That will really help you decide on a stock list. For instance, many wrasses and angels, though beautiful, are not reef-safe and will eat your coral or inverts. Same with lions. But there are plenty of fish out there that are both beautiful and reef-compatible. So decide where you are going, and then you'll know how to get there!

Hippo hasnt been bought yet... He was just the main one I was hoping to get,

N I kinda think I want it more reef... I do love inverts and corals etc as they are beautiful.
So I suppose I'll just have to try choose a couple fish that are reef safe!

If you're not getting a larger tank, you can't get any tangs unfortunately (hence why most of us end up getting larger and larger tanks LOL).

Go to liveaquaria.com to find a suitable fish. They give basic requirements for each fish, including how reef-safe they are.

Your tank dimensions give you roughly a 97 gallon tank (or thereabouts) I think. I entered them in a dimension/gallon calculator and that's what it spat out at me. So you could reasonably house a few of the tang species, like a chocolate tang, yellow tang, and any of the bristletooth tangs. Lots of folks here have the bristletooth tangs and really love them. Blennies are another great choice. But like WontonFlip said, just surf around at LiveAquaria. They have a ton of info and lots of species to research, so you can spend hours looking around....

And bannerfish are hit or miss. There's one type that's supposedly reef safe, but it's so similar-looking to another species that is very NOT reef safe, and most people can't tell the difference until half their corals are eaten....

Back