Starting from Scratch, now DIY project

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
Hello all, I will be going into he DIY section to research, but was wondering if any one could throw me a bone?

I'm restarting my tank, but this time it's being done in a way I can be proud of.

I've got the 30 gallon, but this time I'm going to add on a 25 gal, sump/refuge.

My question, in plumbing this, can it be done or get enough flow with a 1/2 inch PVC piping?
Total incline.would be about 5 foot, and I'm setting it up for the Herbie method.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Slim

mine does lol but its a diy. i have one as the main and restricted so it is quite and the other a back up if the first one plugs and i pump 650 gph into my tank no problems

Thanks all, I was watching an article on you tube, a guy from university of Oregon? (I think), he was saying that the return should be, twice the overflow line to increase the circulation.

Has anyone seen this?

Does anyone agree?

Still need your input, please.

thats a pretty rough rule of thumb. I'm running 1-1/4 drain, 1/2" return and it's balanced perfectly. It will be dictated by pump and overflows GPM not system volume.

there really isnt any wrong way to do it as long as your tank doesnt over flow. just main thing make sure your drain can drain as fast as your return pump pumps i like to have 2 drains that way i always have a back up. or just make sure your sump will run dry bsfore overflowing your tank

there really isnt any wrong way to do it as long as your tank doesnt over flow. just main thing make sure your drain can drain as fast as your return pump pumps i like to have 2 drains that way i always have a back up. or just make sure your sump will run dry bsfore overflowing your tank

I used to mount my pumps on the wall of the sump up high so they run dry fast. That way it will run dry before overflowing the tank. Protects against the HOB overflow losing siphon in my tanks. I'm going to try the external pump next.

Back