Stick with RKL? Or something new?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I had an RKL running my big cube and it was fine. I have zero experience with anything else so I have no basis for comparison. Should I stick with it for the new build (replacement costs aside) or is there something else I should be looking at? Feature wise the RKL was enough for me EXCEPT I would like smartphone control or at least alerts this time. I didn't have the net module on the RKL and I lost some livestock once when on vacation and our house AC went out during the summer causing the tank to overheat.

Thanks!

Dennis, look into the Apex or the Apex jr. Both offer exactly what you are looking for right out of the box. I get alerts for tank temps at specific highs or lows and am able to control anything pluged in to the controller from my phone.

I wonder if i just add the net module it will do the same thing?
Any reason to switch?

Not sure, but I don't see why not. If you are already using it, and happy with it, and you can get control of it from your iPhone, why switch?

Only reason I went Apex was because at the time, RKL did not have any way to control my devices from my phone.

Back