Stocking List (v2.0)

Scopus tangs are cool.But cal also be aggressive toward other fish.They also grow pretty quick,so you'll need to plan for that.

oh i thought the minimim tank size was 70 gal.

Acording to a lot of online venders.
They get fairly big and need a lot of room.They like to swim and they like to swim fast.So the more room they got,the happier and healthier they are going to be.

My scopus tang is good mannered. He hasn't grown much. I've had him for almost a year. He was also added with my other tang at the same time.

Several of the more popular build threads have added a school of Anthias. After seeing their results I have added these to my list to add once my tank matures more.

I also felt the Powder blue tang seemed a little common, but I have added a Sailfin tang and think the Powder blue will be a nice compliment.

A 75 gallon is borderline for a tang.Buy a small 3-4'' Powder Brown and it would take several years to grow out.My ex. 1-1/2 year PBT,maybe grew 1/2'' in that time,slow grower.There are several species of tang that stay relatively small like a tomili and kole tang,check them out too.The browns are less sickly than powder blues so that's a good thing.

I agree with MV somewhat.I say a pair of bartletts instead of the chromis look awesome in there.I don't think he was suggesting a sailfin but definitely stay away from them,they grow to 15'' or more.

Decisions,decisions,right?

yea i tried to go with the vanderbilt chromis becuase it was more of a gold and green color, but i guess at the end of the day its still green. And are you guys saying i should scratch the scopas and go with a Powder brown since it is a slow grower. are they easy to keep, because i am not ashamed to admit that even though i have accomplished alot of research i am still just a beginner. Ill go look into those Anthias and Bartletts now...3 still or 2??

Quick question. . . Do you guys know of any other colored anthias? Or is pink the only one
Don't look for a fish based on color. Anthias come in many, many colors. Look for a fish based on where it comes from. Some anthias are shallow water species (30'-60') and are more suitable for a tank, while some come from as deep as 600'.

Take some time and read this 2 part series, especially part 2.
Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part I
Anthias Imposters! - The Genus Pseudanthias, Part II

i just got some of the female purple queen anthias from reefhotspot.com
Good luck with them. Not an easy fish.
From part 2 above........
"The Queen Anthias - what an amazingly beautiful fish! It is a large Anthias, reaching nearly 7" in length as an adult. For those keeping track, ichthyologists and astute hobbyists refer to this species by its Latin name, Pseudanthias pascalus. This species' affordable price tag is mostly due to its shallow collection depths and vast geographic distribution. Indonesia, French Polynesia, Japan, the Great Barrier Reef, New Caledonia and Sulawesi all hold concentrations of this species. Although this fish can be found down to 200' of depth, aquarium specimens are generally collected from 50' or less. The biotope most commonly preferred by this species is highly variable - from steep drop-offs to shallow rubble zones - yet they all share one common element - strong water movement. Slack water movement is not tolerated. While hovering high up in the churning water column this species gathers in groups to feed. Getting this fish to feed in captivity is a formidable task, however. Most specimens starve to death from refusing to eat, thereby making it a difficult species to keep and less than ideal for most hobbyists. "

I see reefhotspot is calling a tuka a purple queen.
from the same link...
"One of my favorite Pseudanthias is the Purple Anthias, P. tuka (photos below). It is similar to P. pascalus, and the two species are easily confused. Pseudanthias tuka remains average-sized for Pseudanthias genus, not quite reaching 5". The disappointment with this species is the difficulty in providing suitable captive care. Similar to all difficult-to-keep Pseudanthias species, adapting to captive aquarium foods and adjusting to captive life in general are the biggest hurdles. Introducing these fish into a very passive aquarium is necessary should you expect to achieve long-term success. Small, passive dither fish such as Nemateleotris species, which are already successfully eating captive foods, may assist with acclimation. Even then, it is an uphill battle and one probably best not attempted by the majority of hobbyists. Located from Japan to the Great Barrier Reef and throughout Indonesia at depths less than 100' assures that this species is easily obtained within the aquarium trade at a reasonable price - perhaps unfortunately, given its poor captive care track record."

Last edited:
Getting this fish to feed in captivity is a formidable task, however. Most specimens starve to death from refusing to eat, thereby making it a difficult species to keep and less than ideal for most hobbyists. "

they have already eaten once today, and they came to me FAT from reefhotpsot, plus i have plankton food coming, just for them

Capt im not trying to buy fish solely on color. Its just im trying to get diversity in my tank so im trying to plan out all my selections. Do you have any other suggestions i could look into? thanks dustin ill check those links out once i get to my computer and not this phone.

Last edited:
well these are definate must haves:
1.Black Ocerllaris clown -Pair
2." " "
3.Leopard wrasse
4.Midas blenny
5.Rusty Angelfish

and these are the maybes, not sures, i dont knows
9.""" """"

i dont know anymore maybe ill be blessed to find a bigger tank then i can keep all of em' thnx for the help though from everyone. but at least i got my definates, ill just choose the rest later or as it comes up.

My anthias (dispar and lyretail) are orange. Fathead anthias are also orange.

I see you have officially added the leopard wrasse to your list! Yay!

As for the tang, I also suggest looking into a yellow eye kole tang over the other types. They do better in tanks your size, and overall are much healthier and hardier than the other tangs on your list.

thnx for the info and suggestion BifferZ.
and while i have your attention, which one of those Ro/di units do you always give us the link to off of ebay??

Back