Tell me if you've heard this one before...

That's pretty impressive to have a built in right away. Did you just have the spare room available? That's awesome. Looks good so far.

I wouldn't say it was avaliable. I just demo'd the wife's gift wrap storage and remodeled the room. It's nice because there is a slop sink and a floor drain right next to the tank. Half of the room is my laundry room and the other half was storage. I just found a few new homes for some stuff and did a better job of utilizing the space.

Now I have 6 chromis and snails and hermits. Still researching what to do next. I am getting some green algae buildup in a few spots. I am thinking more flow. What fish might take care of this??

What about hardy soft corals that don't cost a mint?

VENOMOUS
The Foxface has venom in its dorsal and anal fins, and will use them as a weapon. This can inflict a nasty, painful sting to the aquarist who isn't paying close attention when working inside the tank. It will hurt for days.

from http://www.reefpedia.com/index.php/Foxface_Rabbitfish

Hmmm. Is this true? Do you always/ever wear gloves in the tank?

That would be interesting for me with 30"+ deep tank. No gloves long enough. Very beautiful fish though. Just not sure if that's the way I want to start out. Thanks for the info though. I was looking at one at the LFS today, ironically enough. Wanted to do some research first though. I reall like the filefish. Not just yet.

its true that they can sting you but i never had a problem when i had one, never wore gloves in the tank and it never even flared up when i put my hand next to it

It's one of the most commonly kept fish in this hobby, as far as algae grazers go. Yes, it's venomous, but it's very rare to get stung by one. They are great fish.

Wow cool, thanks for the tip. I will check one out. Is $30 bucks a good price/average/high? Other suggestions? Mainly for corals or reef additions? I just bought a mushroom rock and 3 sand sifter snails.

Last edited:
Just pay attention to where the foxface is at when your working in the tank.
Besides getting stung dont hurt that bad,just like sticking wet hands into an open breaker box.

I have one also. He always goes hide when I'm working in the tank. Whenever I put the tongs in the tank he thinks its feeding time. He love his algae sheets.

Ok so some more questions for you all (at least the ones that may actually know what they are talking about)...

First a current FTS
pbreef1.jpg

I have my tank next to my bar combining two of my favorite hobbies...

pbreef2.jpg

Kind of a wide selection if anyone's thirsty ... and local of course.

pbreef3.jpg

Ah, but I digress. To my questions...

What kind of algae am I dealing with here...

pbreef4.jpg

and here...

pbreef5.jpg

Is this cyano?

pbreef6.jpg

And will the snails be enough to keep itunder control? It was everywhere and then the green stuff started taking over. I used tap water to get things started but now am running RO water.

And what is going on with this shroom stretching out like this?

pbreef8.jpg

Thats all for now...

the first two look like turf algae, and the shroom might be stretched out because it might be splitting. and if that is turf algae the only good things for eating it will be a nudibranch and your hands and also maybe an urchin

Back