Transitioning from FO to Reef

Adrastos

not getting a free ride
Hello All,

My wife and I are in the process of transitioning from a FO to a reef tank. We have a new set of lights arring this week. We are in the process of deciding what to do with our filtration. We currently use a wet/dry trickle with bio balls - there seems to be a fair amount of debate as if bio balls are good or not. We have a nice coral farm nearby that is helping us out - making sure we are ready.

We have gotten on a much more strict schedule of water testing. The levels are all within the proper ranges. We have to get our nitrate down a little - but it is close to zero.

I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had any general tips for making this transition?

Hello and welcome. You definitely will need a good protein skimmer. Have you cycled your tank yet? If yes, and your nitrates are close to 0 that's excellent. What kind of lights did you order?

Hello!

The tank has been running for 4 years now - just as a FO. We still have three fish remaining (only had 4 previously but we just lost one due to a rock slide). Currently in the tank is a Potters Angel, Blue Velvet Damsel and an Engineer Blenny. After talking with the people at the coral farm, we know that we might have problems with the Angel being aggressive to the corals - but we have had him for so long I doubt we will want to part with him (we might have the ability to setup a smaller tank for him down the road).

We have had about 50 pounds of live rock in it previously and we are currently in the process of culturing some lace rock. We are still in need of a better skimmer. I had a small HOT hooked up previously but we will move to a larger one I am sure.

The lighting will be 192 watt Power Compact (twin strip, one 14k and Actinic). It's not the 'best' but it fits our needs and gives us a little more than 4 watts per gallon. Considreing what we are thinking we want to keep.. it should be more than enough.

Sounds like your off to a good start. There not much to change just make sure your water is ok and add he new lights. Just be sure to research any new corals before you add them to make sure you can meet the light, food, and water quality needs. Good luck and keep us posted.

I think we are going to start with pulsating xenia. We probably spent a good 30 minutes just watching them at the farm... plus from what we can tell.. they are good to start with...

If you like them mushrooms and zoanthinds are also good starters. There my personal favorite but it is if you like them. I have always read xenia were one of the easiest to keep, however, I just did a search and it said intermediat care level, so I would wait to see what other people post first before you buy one.

Yes I love them. There are so many different kinds, easy to care for, can adjust to all kinds of light, and spread quickly all over the tank under the right conditions.

Xenias are easy. They will grow and spready like crazy if they're happy. That's definitely a good one to start with. I am going to buy a big fist-sized xenia clump at my LFS today, they have a lot there now for some reason and they are on sale ($5 for one that size!). I bet someone's tank was overtaken by them and they sold a bunch back to the store.

You might want to try one called a Kenya tree too, if you can find it. It's a softie, looks like a pink tree. That's one of the corals I got in the beginning that has probably done the best of anything in my tank -- it has reproduced like crazy, I started with one and now I have about 10 taking over one side of my tank! When they get big enough I'm going to learn how to frag them and see if I can find new homes for them.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Man!

Lights are arriving tomorrow - should be interesting to watch the reaction of the higher lighting in the fish...

Thanks for all the replies everyone! We are so close to being ready I just can't wait to start adding things. We went out and got a mandarin yesterday to calm the waiting. Xenias are definately my favorite thing I've seen so far, but I also like the mushrooms and zos. I was a little leary of the mushrooms at first since we tried them once before we really knew what we were doing. I think now that we've got better lighting on the way and have been doing diligent water changes and testing they should do just fine though.

Madarines are buetiful, but they need a very well established tank with alot of pods to survive. Unless there excepting other foods. There is a good articel at melevsreef.com about feeding these fish if all the other fish are stealing the food.

Did you buy a mandarin that eats frozen food? Some of them will only take live food and many starve to death. Generally not a good fish for a new tank. They can be very difficult to keep alive if they only eat live pods.

Thanks for the replies..

We have had the tank running for 4 years now.. and most of the rock in it that entire time. We are just now transitioning it to a reef (hence the title of this thread) but the tank is well established and has been running trouble free for years. We have been wanting to get one of these guys for awhile now. We have a large supply of food for the little guy in the tank. Also, he has been eating frozen for a few weeks (so they tell me). He ate quite a bit today - so I am not too worried about the starving side of it.

thats great news keep us updated on your progress and just a little heads up the majority of those corals I named off are phosphate eaters and if you have the lighting I suggest you get a clam they are nitrate eaters just a suggestion.

Back