Transitioning from FO to Reef

Thats great news. I haven't read too much about clams figuring they were a little more advanced, but I love them. How difficult are they to keep?

From a search I pulled up quote " Clams require the best water quality, intense lighting, and usually a moderate current. Strontium and calcium need to be supplimented to maintain growth and there vivid color. For this reason there best for the mature reef aquarium only" End quote.

yes but wouldnt they have intense lighting if placed near the top along with moderate water flow if near a skimmer or filter output I think you can accomplish it you just need to keep them near the top as suggested and get the kind that doesnt go godzilla on ya.

we have 192 watts on a 46 gallon tank.. so its a little over 4 watts per gallon..

The only flaw in your plan Jelly is that, atleast from what I have learned over the years, is that animals very rarely do what we want them to do! There are one or two types of clams we can probably keep (I was told which ones but I can't remember now, doh!) ... but.. we are going to see how we do with some soft corals before venturing up to clams... no matter how cool they are.

Adrastos said:
we have 192 watts on a 46 gallon tank.. so its a little over 4 watts per gallon..

The only flaw in your plan Jelly is that, atleast from what I have learned over the years, is that animals very rarely do what we want them to do! There are one or two types of clams we can probably keep (I was told which ones but I can't remember now, doh!) ... but.. we are going to see how we do with some soft corals before venturing up to clams... no matter how cool they are.

Adrastos it sounds like we are in the almost exact same position. I have a 46g bow tank too that I am transitioning from FO to reef. Is your light by chance a Current Dual Satellite?

When I bought my light, it's 192w too, the guy at the store said it's not enough power for clams, just fyi.

The new lights arrived this evening. Man its amazing.. looks like a totally different tank now. Moon lights = very cool.

Now.. just one restless night as I worry if the light stands are going to break and take my light down with it (I am not that worried.. but.. it's just me).

We are planning on adding a small group of Pulsating Xenia's this weekend and see how they do.

Adrastos said:
The new lights arrived this evening. Man its amazing.. looks like a totally different tank now. Moon lights = very cool.

Now.. just one restless night as I worry if the light stands are going to break and take my light down with it (I am not that worried.. but.. it's just me).

We are planning on adding a small group of Pulsating Xenia's this weekend and see how they do.

Right on :) What kind of schedule are you going to put it on?

if you can seperate your lighting it would be best actinics on one hour before and after your daylight and moon lighting is highly suggestable remember the ocean is never fully dark.

We can seperate it, each light is on a seperate grounded cord...

The moonlighting is very cool.. just doing some more research on timing for them...

Back