Trying to decide between 3 120g tanks....

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I am trying to decide which tank to buy...

Option A) Hagan Tank 108 Gallon 5'x18x24 (bottom tempered) I would have to drill the side as I have no extra depth. I would need to purchase or make an overflow. Total Cost $420 + (cost of overflow)

Option B) Perfecto 120 Gallon 5'x18x26 Dual factory overflow
$799

Option C) Miracles 112 Gallon 5'x18.5x24 Dual Factory overflow
$834

Option D) Same as above but with 3 sides Starfire glass
$1074

Is the starfire really worth it? For those with not factory drilled tanks how much does it bug you? etc

I'd pick option B its not to much more to get the tank already drilled with overflows as well as more water than all the other options. I've seen starfire but personally wouldn't pay extra for it. But thats a decision based on your own budget. Also I don't have a drilled tank mainly for the fear I would break it trying to drill it and install overflows. My next tank will have professionally done overflows though so I don't have to worry.

I would not even consider an undrilled tank.

I'd choose B or C just because I'm cheap. To compare, I paid around $650 for my drilled 90 and stand. No Starfire or anything fancy.

My choice is B,C or D.I didn't even know Hagen made tanks.

I have starfire on three sides and wonder what the hell I spent my money on.Can I tell the difference,yes somewhat,not $500 more better.I love Miracles rimless and trimless/euro-braced tanks.I haven't seen any of the standard tanks from them.Strange that getting three sides with starphire is only costing $240 more,excellent price on the upgrade.You mentioned about cross braced interfering with MH fixtures in another thread.I would consider a euro-brace at least from them.The rimless are probably too expensive.

This is a euro-braced/trimless tank from Miracles
IMG_1287.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly as you stated in the other thread its the shipping that kills you....

I am leaning to the miracles regular glass tank... but who knows... there is another guy that might want a tank from them too... if he goes in the shipping goes way down.... so then I might go for the starfire...

I do find it very interesting that you dont feel the starfire was worth the upgrade though... I was reading a lot on various forums and everyone seems to be pretty amazed by it...

It is definitely one of the bad things living here....no where can I go and actually compare.

Of course people with starphire will say that.They have to justify the money that spent on it.Me,I'm not afraid to say that I could of spent that money elsewhere like going rimless instead.There is a big difference when there is no water in the tank.After water is in there,not so much.Remember,my tank is an island,viewable on all four sides.I can actually look through the tank on the starphire side and on the non-starphire side.Really,the difference is there but not as much as I was hoping.

Ive heard big things about starphire, I would do it, but, i dont know the difference, I guess i like to give the best possible viewing pleasure for my tank.

But either way, get it predrilled.

I say option E: the 700 Gallon custom made rimless tank.

Just get rid of your bed and you'll have room! You won't need the bed anyways because you'll need to work nights aswell to have enough money to support the tank

Apparently, I didnt update this :)

I ordered my tank a week ago...I was told it was going to be 6 weeks.

I went for the Miracles Starphire tank. I decided to go with the standard trim option as it was just getting quite $$$$$$.

I went with the dual overflow drilled about a 1/3 of the way in on both sides (back)

6 weeks.....arrgghh... Its going to be a Long long long time :)

Back