Um..., I got a Blue Hippo....

DAvis

Reefer Madness
OK, I'm gonna have to face the music. I was looking for one more fish for my 65g and I got a quarter sized blue hippo :sfish: (yes about this big!). I misread one of the profiles and I read 75g would be minimum size, but it's probably more like twice that. I just read the Yellow Tang thread (very interesting and entertaining!), So if anyone wants to see how a blue tang sizes up in a 65g, compared to a 90, 125, 150, etc...

I fear I made a sophomore mistake. I know I will eventually move up to a 120 or 180 someday, but will the Tang wait for that? I guess what I'm asking is, how long before I have to move him up or move him out? I don't take lightly, my fish as pets. They are long term for me.

(I had a beautifully planted 55g freshwater, and I got 4 small silver dollars ($.025!), thinking I would be able to keep my plants if I was vigilant about feeding them blanched lettuce and zucchini. Well, 11 years later I still have all 4 silver dollars and only java moss!)

Last edited:
You probably have a while before he outgrows your tank, but they can be very unpredictable when it comes to getting ich. Even though he is small, there is no guarantee that he won't be stressed in that size tank. Some fish do okay, others don't.

Survival rate for captivity adjustment on super small juv tangs are usually pretty poor too. I learned this the hard way with a zebrasoma desjardini and a naso. both croaked in about a week. like tossing my money in the toilet and pissing all over it before i flushed it down. hopefully this fish works out for you. they are pretty interesting fish. They do weird things like wedge themselves in rocks and just hang out.

Dont forget that those super small blue hippos are small and skinny enough that they can swim right through the slits on your overflows.

ICH! ICH! ICH!, you have been warned (Jk) but that they get it very VERY easy. tang's are about as hard to keep as nem's it would seem, bought a small powder blue and 2 week's later well, let's just say after treatment and many MANY water change's later I ended up looseing 3 fish because of one fish's stress level, hope you have better luck...

Last edited:
Survival rate for captivity adjustment on super small juv tangs are usually pretty poor too..
This is a Quality Marine, MAC fish. It's been in the store two weeks before I took it. My LFS guy fed him in front of me, and boy did he eat! After acclimation to my tank, I fed some cyclopeze and he/she ate again. I feed the tank 2x daily - once very small in the am (ova or cyclop-eze) and heavier at night (varied mysis, seaweed blend, or the other two above). All food is soaked in GVH. I hope I'm doing everything else right for good health and low stress!

Dont forget that those super small blue hippos are small and skinny enough that they can swim right through the slits on your overflows.
That is good to know, I'll keep my eye on that.

I find my hippo tang really makes use of all the swimming space in my tank, sooner you up grade the better!
Unfortunately, this will happen later rather than sooner. He is swimming all about, and sleeps sideways in the middle of the LR pile!

ICH! ICH! ICH!, you have been warned (Jk) but that they get it very VERY easy. tang's are about as hard to keep as nem's it would seem, bought a small powder blue and 2 week's later well, let's just say after treatment and many MANY water change's later I ended up looseing 3 fish because of one fish's stress level, hope you have better luck...
I will be vigilant in my tank hygiene and observations.

All sound advice and experiences, thanks to all.

You probably have a while before he outgrows your tank, but they can be very unpredictable when it comes to getting ich. Even though he is small, there is no guarantee that he won't be stressed in that size tank. Some fish do okay, others don't.
Understood, thanks Sarah.

.I'll never understand why more people don't QT .?
In this case, I thought the 28 gallon tank I had for QT would be too small and stressful! I can't win. Again, sound advice. It doesn't fall on deaf ears, and I may regret my decision, but.... I didn't quarantine. So far so good, but, it hasn't been so far yet.

Not at all..look at what any LFS keeps them in for weeks....months even..
QT and do Hypo and its win,win...I used a 30 for all my fish (now an anlger tank),,,but now i use a rubbermaid tote.....i hope he does ok for you though

What other fish are in there??
Oh, I didn't mention here. 2 false clowns, a bangaii card, Diamond goby and a stripped fang blenny. All appear to get along just fine for now. The Tang likes to swim with the clowns. He was a tank mate of the striped blenny. They get on famously. I thought of getting a couple golden cleaner gobies (very tiny!) to help everyone out. But I don't know.

I see your point Matt!. They can be in the store a while. QT is a must, I did it for my other tanks. I have too many tanks going. I'm going to start eliminating 2 freshwater tanks and maintain my 55g freshwater, until the inhabitants are gone. I have a quartet of silver dollars that I've had for 10 years! I'll have room then for a QT and Frag tank. I'm still learning, but hopefully not at the expense of a lovely little hippo...

PS - GO Gators! I'm a 'Cuse man, but always have a soft spot for the Gators as I got an ms there long time ago!

Sounds good,i really hope things go smoothly with the little guy..
I too had FW for many years ,,i kept mostly piranhas though..lost my black one last year..he was probably around 15 years old ,,foot long...awesome creature !!

Go gators Go

Oh, I didn't mention here. 2 false clowns, a bangaii card, Diamond goby and a stripped fang blenny. All appear to get along just fine for now. The Tang likes to swim with the clowns. He was a tank mate of the striped blenny. They get on famously. I thought of getting a couple golden cleaner gobies (very tiny!) to help everyone out. But I don't know.

Those are good tank mates for your new fish! They should get along just fine.

Those are good tank mates for your new fish! They should get along just fine.

I was thinking of getting a yellowline cleaner goby (ORA) or two. I imagine this could be beneficial for the other fish, helping reduce parasites from the fish. Any experience with these. In the wild, fish welcome their cleaning!
Thanks,
David

Cleaner gobies are good choices. They do well in our systems. Much better choice than the cleaner wrasse, which serves a similar purpose, but usually dies very quickly in captivity.

Hey all,
I set up a QT tank. A 30g tall, with 2 hydor sponge filters, korolia nano and a 200W heater. I'm going to move all the fish to this over the weekend as I saw a touch of the dreaded ich on my hungry little hippo a couple weeks ago. He eats and sleeps and runs with the clowns. All fish appear fine to my aging eyes, possibly the cleaner goby may have had a spot or two. I'll keep them in there for 8 weeks, and move them back. Lesson learned. Not so bad, but I will probably have to remove rock to catch them all with out too much chasing.

Has anyone tried trapping with any success? I do have a little 2wt flyrod! :D

Oh, on a sort of humorous note... I noticed the ich only because the tang was swimming by the golden cleaner goby on the glass. He was actually begging the goby for a cleaning! The goby just said, "Eww!" Then later, I saw the tang asking the cleaner shrimp for help, and he was appeased! I know this will not help the ich situation, but it was fascinating to watch the tank dynamics.

Back