Vinny's First 29g Journey

Remember when we were kids, at Christmas, did your parents ever threaten you with, "If you are bad, Santa is going to bring you a box of rocks!"??

Because now I'd be like, "Hell yeah, bring it on, Santa!!" :lol:

Just wait until you've had the tank up and running about a year and the wife mentions going on vacation.You'll start looking for excuses NOT to go.:lol:

This hobby is just too fun. lol. Here is some pics of the exciting base rock n sand (from marcorocks.com :) )

Rocks.gif

Still wrapped up, just took some bubble wrap off so u could see the pretty white rock. :)
Sand.gif

Congrats on the Marco rocks and sand.The porous nature of the rocks and price of the sand and rocks can't be beat.

One thing,okay two things I wasn't prepard for.Because the rocks has no coralline,they will get ugly before they get better.Brown and green algae really stands out on white rocks.The sand is too fine,it looks like sand dunes in my tank,I can't keep the stuff down.

Yeah I know about the rocks, its just a process! and i hope my sand is going to be okay... Im going to go out to the LFS when i get home from Colorado next Monday and buy the LR and start the tank and everything! It keeps getting closer and closer :)

Update with pics,

my Light and Powerhead both arrived today, and i am deciding to send the filter back and buy something else like a skimmer, I might do an algae scrubber though I havent decided, I know its a debatable subject but from what i see they work and i like diy things... lol.

Okay nevermind i made the pics toooo big ill put them up later cuz i gotta get offline right now, sorry for the teaser... :)

Last edited:
If you feel up to building an algae scrubber (and apparently it's not hard), they can be very useful. I have plans to eventually add one to my system.

Yeah I'm pretty sure im going to try it out because of all the benefits to the tank it apparently brings. And here are the pics of the light and the powerheead.

Light.gif

150W MH Lights

Koralia.gif

Koralia 750 Powerhead

Yeahhhh... So im goin on vaca to colorado tomorrow morning, be back home on Monday and I can put water, sand, n rock in the tank Tuesday. Already wanting to cancel the trip! haha :mrgreen:

So its time for an update! I am taking forever to even start this tank but i am just making sure i got everything right before I start... So i went to the LFS and compared their prices to PetMountain.com... Now im waiting for another package in the mail which is going to be a week or more :mrgreen:. But i saved a lot of money and am starting to build my algae scrubber which i can't decide to put under the tank or build a hood over the top and place it in there. Which do you suggest??

Alright, so this weekend on Sunday is the scheduled day to begin the building process of modifying the stand and building my algae scrubber! I'll be sure to post pics of the whole beginning to end result, and I am scheduled to recieve the final equipment to complete the tank on thursday next week, so I might just fill the tank Thursday if I have time, If not Thursday, then Friday will be the beginning of this tank for real! Promise! :bounce:

Back