What do you guys think:)

rarecoral21

Reefing newb
Ok I'm getting a new 195 gallon tank for my sps.The measurement of the tank are 5ft long by 24in high by 30in wide .I now have 2 250mh and 5 t-5 Ive had every type on lighting under the sun but never had a 195 gallon tank.So I was thinking of HQI 250 3 of them or should I get 2 400 watt mh I'm not going to use all the t-5 only 2.I don't want 400 watt HQI again because the cost to much to run and I know from having 250 HQI before they cost the same to run as 400 mh.

just want you guys opinion thanks:D

What kind of reflectors do you have or do you plan on using? If you get Lumenarcs, you can get full coverage with 2. If you get Lumenbrights or Lumenmax, you should use 3. If you use parallel or spider reflectors, should use 3.

Hamilton Reefstar Lighting System 250 HQI and for the rest of my canopy will all be coved in reflective German aluminum.:D
In that case, for best coverage, go with 3.
I have a 5 foot tank and have only 2 250 MH and I wish I had 3.
What kind of reflectors do you use? I know of 2 8' 500g reef tanks that are lit by 3 400w MH bulbs in Lumenarcs. Most ppl don't realize the importance of a quality reflector. You can get up to 3x the amount of light into your tank with a quality reflector as opposed to a cheap reflector.

Analyzing Reflectors: Lumenbrite III, Lumenmax Elite, Lumenmax, and Lumenarc III

Last edited:
so, i was thinking, when your looking at MH systems, how much does the tank braces play a part in what system you choose? I would think that you would want a bulb on each side of each brace, so if you had 1 brace, you'd use 2 bulbs, and if you had a longer tank, and had 2 braces, then you'd use 3 lights.

the wattage of each bulb would be determined only after the # of bulbs was figured...

am i kinda headed in the right direction?

so, i was thinking, when your looking at MH systems, how much does the tank braces play a part in what system you choose? I would think that you would want a bulb on each side of each brace, so if you had 1 brace, you'd use 2 bulbs, and if you had a longer tank, and had 2 braces, then you'd use 3 lights.

the wattage of each bulb would be determined only after the # of bulbs was figured...

am i kinda headed in the right direction?

That right there is something I WISH I had thought of before getting my lights.
Even though I got a hell of deal on em,I hate that shadow in the center of my tank from the brace.
On 72" tanks,if you've got 3 braces,then you probably wont have problems with a 3 halide fixture.But if you only got one brace right in the center,then you need to figure something else out.

Okay project, your not lost or drifting. Yote says "That right there is something I WISH I had thought of before getting my lights." So you must be ok after all. False alarm.

Okay project, your not lost or drifting. Yote says "That right there is something I WISH I had thought of before getting my lights." So you must be ok after all. False alarm.

what is that i smell????? oh, wait, its me, cause i'm tha :pooh:!!! :mrgreen:

hehehe, it was either that for a reply, or "yea and your still a :pooh: head!" :mrgreen:

and i just didnt want to stoop down to that level.. hehehehehe

:bounce:ITS PEANUTBUTTER JELLY TIME, PEANUTBUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!

Back