Xenia help

wolfsbettas

Reefing newb
I need help! I have a frag of pulseing Xenia...been in the tank almost a week now, and today one of the clusters looked grey and dead.
My tank paramiters are this..
Nitrites: trace to .25
Nitates 0
Ammonia 0
SG 1.026
ph 7.8
calcium 450+
I have had this tank since 06 end of 06... it was cycled then...There are 2 scarlet hermit crabs, one emerald crab, and 5 nassarius snails in a 12 gallon eclipse.
This is my first step towards coral and I feel like I am failing already!
I added marinesnow as directed and
Kent marine essential elements
Since adding the stuff and moveing them higher on my live rock the once dead looking one has perked up but not quite. And they arent pulseatting at all, even the tan ones the healthy looking ones.
I need help what do I do?
Shaz

I'm guessing the nitrites got something to do with it.
Nitrites are highly toxic to the animals.You need to do some water changes to keep the nitrites as low as possible untill the bacteria can catch up and convert them to nitrates.

i agree with the water changes.
i have found in my tank at least that you can kill it if you tried. it grew very quick (even in poor water conditions). sometimes it takes a few days to grow back and extend fully if its been roughed up or moved around. how large is the frag? they way not open as quick either if the flow is too strong.

if that is the only thing in there you dont need to add marinesnow it will just add a lot to your nutrient level. what kind of lights do you have on your tank?

what ever light comes with an eclispe. The frag is maybe 20-30.. bases are just three and the mid one is the one with the issue. I have pics sending soon
Shaz

Xenias are one of those corals that some people are never able to keep, no matter what the conditions in their tank are. I could never keep any alive in my old 55 gallon tank, but they thrive in my 240 and grow like weeds. Some people try and try, but can never keep xenia alive, but manage to keep other much more difficult corals without a problem.

it is just stock what do I need?
I have a foster and smith retail store right here in town so anything and everything they have is pretty much is available right here.
I moved the frag further back from the current and still no real change the mid one still is grey and the one to the left is getting darker.
I am not really sure how to save this "easy Coral" despite reading and reading before I got it.
Shaz

Not sure what T-5 is all I know is now the whole dange frag is turning grey and looking wilty. Why would this crash in under 24 hours? All of a sudden...
I want to save it...and I dont know how, dont know if there is a way how. Shaz

T5 is a type of lighting. More specifically, it's a very high output type of fluorescent bulb that has a small diameter. It's one of the best types of lighting for keeping corals.

I feel like time is running out this is what it looks like right now.
DSCN2561.jpg

had it almost a week and I drip acclimitized it...floatede in the tank and slowly used a turkey baster to add tank water to the bag, took 4 hours till the bag was full. Added water about every 15 minutes, maybe .5ML if that.

I'll bet the nitrites are whats getting it right now.
That being said,I'd do at least a 50% water change ASAP.That should drop the nitrites quiet a bit.But you'll to test them daily and be ready to do daily water changes untill nitrites stay at zero on your test kit.

Back