aftershock's 40 gallon breeder

Your tank is coming along nicely.Love the acans especially.

Skip the bubble bee snail.There is some debate on if they are truly reef safe considering they are a type of whelk.I'll give one example....

While alluring due to their attractive coloration, Bumble Bee snails (Engina mendicaria) (Pusiostoma mendicaria) are not the best choice for the tropical marine aquarium with a deep sand bed. The reason for this is that Bumble Bee snails are carnivores and will prey on beneficial fauna in the sand bed. There is also some anecdotal evidence that they will feed on zooanthids and polyps. For tanks with a deep sand bed, it is best to include Nassarius snails rather than Bumble Bee snails. In a bare bottom (or shallow sand bed) tank, Bumble Bee snails can be added with caution, although be forewarned that their nocturnal nature means that viewing their attractive shells may be limited to the hours when the aquarist would rather be sleeping.

Read more at Suite101: Questionable Clean-Up Crew Snails: Some Clean-Up Crew Snails to Maybe Avoid in your Saltwater Tank Questionable Clean-Up Crew Snails: Some Clean-Up Crew Snails to Maybe Avoid in your Saltwater Tank

I have bumblebee snails in my tank, and have had them for about 5 years now. I am aware that they can be reef unsafe, but I didn't know that when I got them. I've never had any problems with mine, but I can't really recommend them for that reason.

guess i'm getting more nassarius snails then. funny, when i went to the LFS and asked for nassarius snails, the guy dug thru the sand in all their reef displays, and o0nly found the 2 i bought. they did have an awful lot of hermits looking cozy in nassa9largerrius shells though.

anyways, bought 2 ocellaris clowns today. one was a normal orange (larger) and the other a black and white (smaller). will post pics later. was hoping theyd stick together but after about 3 hours they seemed to have split up. also, they really seem to be struggling against the flow. i realize clowns are bad swimmers, but can i have too much flow for them? i have 2 koralia evolution 750gph. i've turned off one so far to let them acclimate and explore the tank but hopefully they meet back up. i guess i should just be thankful they arent tearing each other to shreds.

i'll try to post pics soon. maybe tomorrow at work

thanks everybody. just wanted to post a picture of my clownfish. decided to name the black and white color variation "obama." anyway, they seemed to have found each other again. still no fighting.

232323232%7Ffp63398%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A%3A4%3A8%3C734%3Bnu0mrj

wasnt sure about the turbo as i didnt want it to bulldoze crap, but i looked at my other options and i guess it is the best bet. i want to stay away from crabs.

+1 Biff

Just epoxy or superglue your corals and you'll be fine, otherwise they'll knock stuff over. But they'll also make quick work of that hair algae. I love my Turbos..You'd be shocked at how fast a turbo snail can get to an algae sheet hanging from a veggie clip 3/4 of the way up the tank...If my fish aren't on their job with the algae sheets, I'll have 3 turbos surrounding the veggie clip in no time flat..One day I'm gonna take a video of it.

unfortunately, obama is no longer its name. my sister has said "MJ" for michael jackson is a better fit.

gonna pick up a couple of turbo snails i think. sound better than astreas. i question if they actually do anything. they just slowly move in a circle clearing one small area off. ceriths seem to be doing a good job with the filmy stuff, but didnt touch the hair.

you can see my horrible epoxy skills in the coral photo. looks as if i wadded up gum on the rock and stuck the frag on.

Damn nick, I didn't even think about looking for a black one...I'm kinda upset I got the second Ocellaris I did, it hasn't been eating at all the past few days and I left my garlic at the house.

I really want a black one now lol. Check your fb, i'm waiting till the end of next week for a batch of Nassarius snails that'l be on sale.

those black ones are pricey. it was more than 2x the normal one. crazy. i remember clownfish were mad cheap when my dad had his tank, liek the same as damsels. but i guess that was also before finding nemo came out.

well, remember how i posted about a hitch hiker crab before? checked the tank before going to bed and found the guy dragging one of my prized nassarius snails into its hole. i played god and saved the snail and banished the crab to a chinese takeout container. any ideas on what this guy is? or what to do with him now?

232323232%7Ffp6339%3B%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A%3B9954734%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63268%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D329%3A%3B9954634%3Bnu0mrj

No idea on his name,but from the size of his claws,he's a predator.If you got a sump,chunk him in there.If not,see if your LFS will give you some credit on him or at least let you feed him to a puffer or trigger.:D

so it's been a while since i've updated and theres been a couple of additions to the tank. added a cpr bakpak with a rio 600 pump (ebay buy) but the pump casing is cracked and micro bubbles leak into the tank. new accela pump is in the mail.

next, i finally got around to converting the aquaclear 110 into a fuge.
232323232%7Ffp63388%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5345634%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6339%3B%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5345834%3Bnu0mrj

i took the basket that held the filter media and seperated the sides from the bottom. the bottom was then siliconed as a grating on the front. i used one of the side panels as a baffle. i used silcone to hold the bottom and top corners in place, but my hand seemed to be fat enough to push it out of place when reaching in, so i added epoxy to help strengthen it. carbon and filter wool goes in the first chamber and liverock went into the second. now i need to get my hands on some chaeto...

Last edited:
as for livestock, here are some pictures.

sea cucumber
232323232%7Ffp63259%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5344%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

tomini tang
232323232%7Ffp63397%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5349%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

frogspawn
232323232%7Ffp63267%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5348634%3Bnu0mrj

now i know thw tang police will flame me for the tang, but i made every precaution i could to facilitate the fish. theres minimal rock work in my tank, high flow (2x 750gph koralias), and the tomini tang is definitely not as active a swimming as other tangs, like the yellow my dad used to have. even with this, the tank is small for a tang. he is constantly picking at algae, and thus is constantly taking a dump. the bioload is probably too much to be handled in smaller tanks.

that being said, since one tang is too much for my tank to handle, my dad decided my tank was not colorful enough and i came home from work yesterday to find my dad has bought me another tang.
232323232%7Ffp63256%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A3%3A5349334%3Bnu0mrj

the regal tang is tiny (~1 inch). and seems okay for now. he picks at the rock work and nibbled on some mysis today. hopefully itll workout. after getting into an argument with my dad about it, he did end up promising to fund me to convert his 120 gallon into a reef if i'm able to keep this tank stably for 2 years. :D

Last edited:
Good luck with the new stuff! The frogspawn is stunning.

In the pic with the hippo tang, those are majanos. You need to kill those. Those are prolific pest anemones that are really awful.

very hard to have those tangs in a 40 but congratz. looks great so far but i couldn't find that sea cucumber. lol

i like fish that stay on or among the rock work
You should check out Hawkfish, or a Flame Hawk. They are pretty cool, don't have the float bubble that most fish have in their backs so they sink, and they use their bony fins to perch up on rocks and look around with their eyes =P

And yeah those tangs are prolly ok while they are small but will need new homes as they grow up ;)

Nice tank btw! Oh, and the blue lights do make florescent colors on corals "pop" more! ;)

Back