aftershock's 40 gallon breeder

Biff: thanks. i know they are majanos but havent had the heart to kill it. i plucked/scrapped off all the smaller ones when i got the rock, but left the large ones since they were something to look at. now my mom likes it. would aiptasia x work?

i'd just liek to say, i killed off almost all of the aiptasias in the tank with that stuff and i never thought i'd have so much fun squirting anenomes and watching them disintergrate.

jmck: the cucumber is the turd looking thing with spikes coming out of it in the middle, hugging the left side of the rock. i wish i took more pics documenting everything i modified on the aquaclear but feel free to ask me any questions.

ulta: i liked the longnose hawkfish but as of now, my tank is stocked when it comes to fish. its funny how when i compare what i had planned to keep with what i actually bought when i went to the LFS, the list is completely different.

pringles: get a damn light!!!!

I thought that was the cucumber ;P but he is very good at blending in with that rock! I have two and they are actually way to active... everyone comments on the moving turds I have in my tank. lol

thanks shock, ill definitely shoot you a pm when I get home and start it, would be nice to have some macro algae to helo clean my 40g.

Its funny how those stocklists change when you actually start stocking a tank.:D
Looks great.Keep up the good work.

I actually had a custome BEG for a piece of live rock that was had a few Majanos on it yesterday.:shock: I told him what they were but he insisted on THAT rock.So he paid for a 1/2 pound chunk of rock with 10 or 15 of em on it.

thanks biff. cleaned the majanos out and enjoyed every second of it.

yote, if i had a FO tank, i dont think i'd mind some majanos on the rocks. or maybe he thought they were zoas like i did when i first got my rock!

Some types of Majanos are very colorful and are often desired by the hobbyist until they begin taking over. I once purchased a rock with little green and red tipped ones. I still have some remnants in my tank after they spread everywhere.

i gotta slow it down. no more additions for a month! i'm telling you guys so if i post i've added something else after today, scold me!!! this isnt only the size of the tank, but also the emptiness of my wallet...

so both the accela pump for the cpr and chaeto for the aquaclear are coming in in a couple of days. i'll let you guys know how they go. met up with a reefer i met from a local reef club who sold me a frag of ORA green planet. here's a pick.

232323232%7Ffp633%3B4%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A4%3B35%3A7534%3Bnu0mrj

he also threw in a free frag of a purple tip monti he said was growing too large for him. not sure of the exact name. can anyone help me out?
232323232%7Ffp633%3A6%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A4%3B35%3A7434%3Bnu0mrj

let me know what you guys think!
FTS
232323232%7Ffp63278%3Enu%3D6333%3E946%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3A4%3B35%3A7634%3Bnu0mrj

parrotchute,

i do agree with you, and would not have placed a second tang in the tank. as stated in a previous post, it was not me, but my father who bought that fish without me knowing. while i am new to reef keeping, i've had a lot of experience in keeping fish, and understand the care that goes into them. i understand you have a right to your own opinion. what i dislike so much about these online forums are people who state their opinion, as you did, without any reasoning behind. i will give you the benefit of the doubt, that you believed me to be a complete newb with no previous knowledge in keeping fish, and believe i am keeping this fish with no knowledge to its care. if you are goign to post something that blunt, provide some understanding behind your statement as to educate the person who is acting ignorantly.

now, having stating this, i would like you to know this tang is in no way, a long term inhabitant in this tank in my mind. the regal is currently very small (~1 inch) and very skinny, and i would feel it would be just as irresponsible to send this tang in its current condition back to an lfs to reacclimate to another tank which undoubtably would be smaller than the tank i am currently providing for it. i have noticed it is eating and i plan to care for it until it reaches a point where i no longer will be able to care for it in the tank. this will be long before the tank becomes too small for it to swim in, as the bioload a growing tang will produce will be greater than a tank this size can handle. at that point, i do plan to move it from my tank.

in closing, i appreciate your opinion, and agree with it, but hope you will treat people who do not have the knowledge to make correct decisions with more respect and try to educate them. by only attacking them and not providing them with direction, you are the one being cruel.

thank you,

nick

I'll be completely up front with you - it doesn't matter one bit whether you or your dad bought the fish. My dad could buy me a dog tomorrow and I wouildn't keep it in a closet all day. If your dad is buying fish for you and you just take them, then, yes, you ARE keeping fish just whimsically. If you really weren't a complete newb, you'd have the intestinal fortitude to bring the fish back and let someone give it the care it needs. The reason I was so blunt it because I'm sick of seeing all these people on forums just do whatever they feel like with little regard to the care of the life of which they've taken on the responsibility to take care of.

The small size of a young tang doesn't mean it doesn't need a good amount of space to swim around in or that it won't be stressed and unhealthy in a smaller tank. I don't really care if you are butthurt over me being blunt.

I think it's pretty damn cruel to keep two tangs in there.
Woa, I think we found a flamer :pissedof:

I don't think a 1" fish in a 3ft. tank is in anyway torture. Yes those fish are recommended to be in a minimum 6ft tank with plenty of swimming room and current when they are full grown adults (6"-15"). When they are juveniles even in the wild I am sure they hang out close to the rockwork to avoid becoming lunch by predators. So perhaps the amount of swimming room they needs is exponential to their growth, but who knows. Its just a generally accepted rule of thumb to go by the minimum tank size for an adult fish, seems how most people should plan on keeping that fish for the entirety of its life! Also I have read that tangs grow more aggressive toward their same species as they age, so he should have little trouble with 2 tangs getting along while they are young.(which can be easily monitored by himself)
As he stated earlier he is aware of his situation and has a plan of action for accommodating their needs.
If he gets that 125g up and running before they approach ~3" I don't see anything wrong with it.
People come to these forums for help and knowledge. If you do not have anything constructive to say plz keep it to yourself. Constructive criticism is acceptable however.

My :twocents:

Call me a flamer all you want.

I think a lot of people would def say I very rarely flame, and largely, am more than helpful and considerate.

That being said, I'm just sick of the same people, on one hand asking for help, and the other hand, spurning advice with an attitude that they know better and can manage it, despite other people's advice. Don't ask for advice if you won't follow it. Perhaps I'm just lashing out at the latest person to do it, but it gets old. It's always an excuse..."well, my dad bought it"..."I'm going to upgrade my tank soon", "it seems happy".

We're in a hobby where sustainability is extremely important. If we don't manage it and not deplete the livestock (i.e., by having throwaway fish, buying new ones because you killed the old ones and reducing demand), then fish start being unavailable for the rest of us to enjoy.

Back