Alexander's 80gal

Re: newest fish tank

i no its a personal choice but i would do away with top glass it will stain up quick and block light to your tank. My wife didn't like idea of nothing between water and light, you will get more light and better colors with canopy off.

Not mention,better gas exchange which will help with PH and keep the water from heating up so much.

what about fish jumping out, and since i dont have an overflow right now there will be more dust buildup on the water surface wont there. btw my 36 is even more covered than the 80 and i have never had ph or temp problems in that. temp is constantly 68 in my house. we like it cool in here :) and i will definately post coral pics as i get them.

Last edited:

Eggcrete will keep fish in and let light through.

Ive not had any problems with dust,and I've never had the glass tops on any of my tanks.

Eeg crete is in the lighting department at Home Depot or Lowes.
What it is ,its for a cover for lighting in a drop cealing,come in a 2ft x 4ft piece and its got little open squares thats about 1/2 inch SQ.

you'll find it in lighting section at home depot or lowes or any hardware store. I don't have sump either powerhead point upwards for surface water movement.

I use eggcrate on my tank too. You just buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's and cut it to fit the top of your tank. Another reason why I like it was because I was constantly having to wipe off the glass when I was using it, it would get salt creep all over it. That's not a problem with eggcrate.

yes i love all those fish too much to lose them from carpet surfing. i know what your talking about now. you think that stuff works better than glass? how so when its not even completely see through material. not that im cahallenging the thought, but just wondering how it works, if you know

It is see through. It's just a plastic grid, it's not solid. And it doesn't need to be cleaned. And it lets the tank oxygenate. And it keeps fish in. And it can be cut to fit very easily!

how does it not need to be cleaned. salt never builds up on this stuff? can someone post a pic of it on thier tank?

Nice setup with the rocks, Do the fishes swim in the open a lot or do they stay around the corners where the rocks are located

Nice setup with the rocks, Do the fishes swim in the open a lot or do they stay around the corners where the rocks are located
thanks glad you like it, they have been doing a lot of hiding in the rocks. but you have to keep in mind that they both really new to the tank. i got them all within the last 7 days. broke the general rule on waiting between getting fish because i really wanted that naso when i saw him. The copperband was really into hiding untill i put the naso in there then they have kinda teamed up and have been doing a lot of swimming out in the open.

Also by the look of your name Gio it looks like we have another 240sx fan on the forum.

To the people who have eggcrate over there tanks.Does it leave a criss-cross shadow to the tank?I always used a glass top or leave it off.

Back