Aqua Boy's 11 Gallon Nano Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I really appreciate the comments and all. There is a distinct difference between feedback and disrespect. Feedback and critism is helpful, disrespect is not. I'll stick with the forum but I need to state that 20+ years of freshwater experience can't be thrown out the window as it were. My sig information says 1 year salt experience but that does not mean I am a clueless kid. I have seen many things many of you claim can't be done and have seen things that I would also never do. That is the beauty of the hobby. I am merely asking for alternatives and open minded responses, not dictatorship opinions. I respect the forum members and would always ask for the same in return.

Thank you all. (And you too Bifferwine, I know you are trying to help me:D)

woah, i missed a lot....

umm... yea just don't get tangs anymore LOL. they equal nonos in a 10g tank....

as far as what some people consider "professional" we're all always learning new things in this hobby but I'll say this much. I've been into freshwater since i can remember, i know how it all works, functions, how to prevent problems, and how to work my way around the "rules". In saltwater, theres not much bending to those rules. Everything has a place, a reason it works that way, and rules. freshwater doesn't require HALF the care that a marine setup needs... there are tons of factors that go into it, especially a smaller tank.

as far as bioload, I'm pretty overstocked-BUT i make daily water changes and am temporarilay having to have my tank overstocked because one of my tanks was... destroyed.... there is also a size issue, I'm lucky to have an eel who doesn't mind small cramepd places, because at 15 inches, a 20g tank is HORRIBLY cramped, not to mention the 5 fish hes sharing it with...

marine is just abit harder to do, I'm not poking at intelligence, but go out and buy "saltwater aquariums for dummies". it was a nice book that i learned a lot from on how to chose fish and what to look out for....

as far as you not agreeing with Biff on the ich carrier thing, shes 100% right. thats one of the FIRST things I learned at my job at the monterey bay aquarium. All fish are carriers, it just doesnt affect them all. same with people and their different viruses they can carry....

Aquaboy, we both seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here. Why don't you start a NEW build thread, introduce yourself and your tank and we can all start over. That way you won't have all this :pooh: mucking up your build thread. I can guarantee that the people that have posted suggestions thus far on your thread are not the "my way or the highway" folks you think us to be and it appears that you are not the "troll" that I was thinking you are. You seem a likable fellow. This board will offer you friendship and support whilst you are making decisions for your tank.

Another resource you might want to check out is the Articles tab along the top. The book Sharkie mentioned helped me a lot along with these two books:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-Guide-Marine-Fishes-Essential/dp/1890087386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262200899&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species (0681290087386): Scott W. Michael: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-Guide-Marine-Invertebrates-Essential/dp/1890087661/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b]Amazon.com: A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species (9781890087661): Ronald L. Shimek: Books[/ame]

IPSF has a terrific video series on Youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2X9PJEc7o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2X9PJEc7o[/ame]

Welcome aboard.

C

I'll stick with the forum but I need to state that 20+ years of freshwater experience can't be thrown out the window as it were.

There IT is in a nut shell.
Saltwater is a completely different critter than fresh.I see it all the time when a customer comes in the store and switching over to a saltwater tank.They've got in their heads that the same basics apply,when in fact,a marine system is much more strict.
I've seen them push the limits for 6 months to year,then a total tank crash and they loose thousands of dollars worth of animals,and thats not counting the time involved.
You CAN push it some,but there is a line that will cost you when it gets crossed.
Thats why I only got 4 small fish in my 125.

I love your tank and think it is beautiful!!! Welcome to the SW world. I made the jump back in April and it is a whole different kind of beast :)

far worth the amount of time and patience :)

woah, i missed a lot...as far as you not agreeing with Biff on the ich carrier thing, shes 100% right. thats one of the FIRST things I learned at my job at the monterey bay aquarium. All fish are carriers, it just doesnt affect them all. same with people and their different viruses they can carry....

:lol: I would say you didn't miss a thing. Just alot of misunderstandings. But I will still say I disagree with Biff for that same comment. Not that fish are not carriers but not all fish are carriers. Fish that have never been in contact with the parasite do not/can't automatically carry it. Ich needs to find a host during the life cycle. I understand what you and Biff are saying in spirit but where I got off was that tank size was IMMEDIATELY to blame and there was no other possibility and being told to not worry about it if the other fish are healthy....seemed a bit bizarre. I am worried because I do not WANT to lose my fish and now today as mentioned it was a concern yesterday, my percula does have small spots and my firefish has a suspect spot on it. I will post any change in progression as ich can be mild or aggressive. The tang definitely had aggressive ich from the amount of spots and the degree of the scratching it did. A buddy of mine has suggested a different style of hyposalinity that may work for me.

If your other fish have spots, try soaking their food in garlic extract. It will boost their immunity and has anti-microbial properties (just like in people). It also elicits a feeding response in fish, so it will improve their appetites.

There IT is in a nut shell.
Saltwater is a completely different critter than fresh.I see it all the time when a customer comes in the store and switching over to a saltwater tank.They've got in their heads that the same basics apply,when in fact,a marine system is much more strict.
I've seen them push the limits for 6 months to year,then a total tank crash and they loose thousands of dollars worth of animals,and thats not counting the time involved.
You CAN push it some,but there is a line that will cost you when it gets crossed.
Thats why I only got 4 small fish in my 125.

:D I think we can agree to disagree to an extent on this one, again in spirit. The difference to me is not that great and from what I see so far, keeping my heavily planted freshwater tanks over the years seems to be more maintenance than this one. But again its a difference of opinion and concept. I will say that I have always fancied marine much more because of the larger selections available.

I still have lights, tank, substrate, water that needs attention and conditioning, filter, live aquaria and feedings, chemicals, etc. So the difference is not huge to me. It just has a different cycle of care for the water. But I do get your point that the crash can be much easier in a marine tank.

If your other fish have spots, try soaking their food in garlic extract. It will boost their immunity and has anti-microbial properties (just like in people). It also elicits a feeding response in fish, so it will improve their appetites.

I know you said this yesterday and will give it a try. The spots are quite small right now.

I love your tank and think it is beautiful!!! Welcome to the SW world. I made the jump back in April and it is a whole different kind of beast :)

far worth the amount of time and patience :)

Thanks....my feather duster is now named lily :Cheers:

What I hear you saying is that you believe your ich problem to be a result of a previously infected fish that seems to be giving it to your other fish and because no one can tell you for certain it didn't happen that way you are going to run with it. And, to top it off, you'll keep asking around until you find someone that agrees with you and will give you advice you want to hear to "fix" your problem.

By putting all those fish in your system you have stressed them to the point that their immune system is compromised. If the tang was infected before you got it (doubt it but let's say hypothetically) then your other fish would be able to "shake it off" if they were in a good environment. The flu kills those who have compromised immune systems. If you try to push the limits without knowing what you're doing, your going to crash your system, be out a ton of money and worse, kill fish and corals in the process. That tang would have made it if it were QT'd then put into a healthy tank that was big enough for it to move properly. Your ignorance and desire to go too fast is a deadly combination. You said it "Unfortunately I do not have a QT tank ready. I am actually using this tank to hold a couple fish for my friend. I get the fish practically free through him at wholesale ($8) so it is actually cheaper to not treat it. If it was more expensive then I would have for sure." If you've been in freshwater forever, you're telling me you don't have a little tank you could have used to QT these fish or to treat them if necessary? You have some extremely intelligent people, people who are college trained, people that work in LFS's and professional aquariums, these people are all telling you that they have seen people switch from fresh to salt and not let go of their freshwater paradigm to the detriment of their tanks. Why do you think you are different? What makes you special?

I really wish I could "agree to disagree" in this but I worry about the fish and corals you are going to kill. PLEASE, fix your tanks, set up a QT and do it properly or get out of saltwater. There are many ways to do something but there are a lot of idiots out there that will tell you what you want to hear just to kiss butt or to make a sale. Do your research and follow the rules. Learn why the rules are there before you try to bend them. Please, don't let your ignorance kill more fish.

C

What I hear you saying is that you believe your ich problem to be a result of a previously infected fish that seems to be giving it to your other fish and because no one can tell you for certain it didn't happen that way you are going to run with it. And, to top it off, you'll keep asking around until you find someone that agrees with you and will give you advice you want to hear to "fix" your problem.

By putting all those fish in your system you have stressed them to the point that their immune system is compromised. If the tang was infected before you got it (doubt it but let's say hypothetically) then your other fish would be able to "shake it off" if they were in a good environment. The flu kills those who have compromised immune systems. If you try to push the limits without knowing what you're doing, your going to crash your system, be out a ton of money and worse, kill fish and corals in the process. That tang would have made it if it were QT'd then put into a healthy tank that was big enough for it to move properly. Your ignorance and desire to go too fast is a deadly combination. You said it "Unfortunately I do not have a QT tank ready. I am actually using this tank to hold a couple fish for my friend. I get the fish practically free through him at wholesale ($8) so it is actually cheaper to not treat it. If it was more expensive then I would have for sure." If you've been in freshwater forever, you're telling me you don't have a little tank you could have used to QT these fish or to treat them if necessary? You have some extremely intelligent people, people who are college trained, people that work in LFS's and professional aquariums, these people are all telling you that they have seen people switch from fresh to salt and not let go of their freshwater paradigm to the detriment of their tanks. Why do you think you are different? What makes you special?

I really wish I could "agree to disagree" in this but I worry about the fish and corals you are going to kill. PLEASE, fix your tanks, set up a QT and do it properly or get out of saltwater. There are many ways to do something but there are a lot of idiots out there that will tell you what you want to hear just to kiss butt or to make a sale. Do your research and follow the rules. Learn why the rules are there before you try to bend them. Please, don't let your ignorance kill more fish.

C

Thanks for further misunderstanding and the insultive words. WHAT THE HECK DOES COLLEGE have to do with this? I have a bachelors and masters degree in psychology and social behavior with certifications in SAFETY and ENVIRONMENTAL so can I be in your school club? I am a PADI licensed master scuba diver and have a membership at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I spent time in the military and had several freshwater tanks. I live about 700' from the Pacific Ocean with a nice view of the islands. SO WHATTT. You act like I do not have any local resources or desire/responsibilty to ask for second opinions nor the ability to do extra research on my own based on my situation. Yes, I have a small tank, infact several sizes, but NONE READY to be used as a QT. Sorry to disappoint you as I assumed you had a clear picture of my unspecial life. Jeez...get off my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back