Barry's 120 Gallon Reef

It's not bleach white. It's a creamy beige colour with green tips. When the lights go out, it turns more white, and when the lights turn back on, it colours up right away. I had people over this weekend that have had nems for years, and they all agree that it is perfectly healthy. (None of them were the person I bought it from, or friends of mine. They were from a Reefing club in Sarnia that came on a tank tour of Tillsonburg and Woodstock.)

It's been awhile since I've posted anything new. I picked up my green star polyps finally. I'm going to glue them to my right overflow to cover the acrylic.
0177-GreenStarPolyps.jpg

Here's a couple updated photos of the tank.
0185-LTS.jpg

0186-RTS.jpg

I was also given a very sick nem to see if I could bring back to life. Here's the sick pic of it. It looks a lot better now and is moving all over the tank. It wanted to be friends with my frogspawn but as soon as my lights came on and the wave marker kicked it, the friendship was over and it was on the move again. Guess it didn't like being stung. I'll post an update pic later.
0176-NewAnenome2.jpg

I finished the stand last weekend. It took me a couple days, but it's well worth the extra time. My boys are happy since they no longer have to turn the volume on the tv & computer up as the tank is quieter. I have to keep looking to see if everything is running since I can no longer hear it. I hinged the side of the stand so I can look for MIA fish on the floor, and to make sure the plumbing doesn't spring a leak.

0187-FinishedStand1.jpg

0188-FinishedStand2.jpg

0189-NewStandFTS.jpg

I'm hoping to finish the canopy this weekend since my LEDs came in today after waiting almost 3 months for them. I ordered a 108 LED kit. 4-Red, 4-420NM, 10-4500K, 36-10000K, 54-Royal Blue, 6 dimmable drivers, and 80 degree optics. A friend of mine built me 4 heat sinks roughly 39" long by 2" wide. He was also bored one night and laid out the configuration I should use in CAD. I duplicated it in Paint Shop. His layout looks a lot better then mine. ;)

0190-DIYLEDs.jpg

LED Layout.

0191-LEDLayout.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Barry! Keep up the great work! :)

Looking good bro.

Looks really great! Keep an eye on the wandering nem, it means they arent happy

Great idea on the side hinge! As for the nem, of course he's not happy, he's sick.

Thank you. My Nem has found his place in the tank and is doing very well. He's no longer a sickly green/red/brown. Nice and white with purple tips and a pink base. It's a pig when it comes to brine feeding.

0196-AllBetter.jpg

I roughed up my heat sinks tonight so the paste will stick. I did a dry fit of the LEDs so I can see what the spacing is like. I still want to play with them a little to make sure I get them spaced out evenly.

0192-DryFit1.jpg

0193-DryFit2.jpg

0194-DryFit3.jpg

I was playing around with the LEDs to see what the colours looked like. The kit came with a battery pack to test them with.

Royal Blue.
0197-RBLED.jpg

10000K.
0198-10000KLED.jpg

4500K.
0199-4500KLED.jpg

Red.
0200-RedLED.jpg

420NM. (This is the colour most people over look when the buy a LED DIY Kit.)
0201-420NMLED.jpg

I also played around on a scrap piece of V-Match pine on how I was going to mount my Pots. (Dimmers.)

Front View.
0202-Pot1.jpg

Back View.
0203-Pot2.jpg

Video of my old 36" 6 tube T5 fixture.
Old Lights - YouTube

LED lights on dim.
Old Lights - YouTube

Some pictures I took the next day.

Hood open.
0207-HoodOpen.jpg

Stand, hood and tank.
0208-StandandTank.jpg

Full tank shot.
0209-FTS.jpg

End tank shot.
0210-ETS.jpg

Fighting for Prime Real Estate.
0211-PrimeRealEsate.jpg

Out of focus Nuclear Green Paly's. These things look awesome under the LEDs.
0212-NuclearGreenPalys.jpg

My old Candy Cane now forming 3 mouths on each head right now. It looks awesome too.
0213-CandyCane.jpg

I'm thinking on adding another 18 Royal Blues to my LEDs. That'll give me 126 LEDs. I have room for 2 more bars. I'm not sure how many LEDs I could cram onto one bar, but I just might have to find out. I'm also going to pull the fixture off and rewire it so all the different LEDs are on their own dimmers.

Back