Cadlights 50g Artisan c/w Starfire glass

Drvillen

Reefing newb
Have not posted much on here, I do more searching and researching. Have had my BC 29 for over a year and decided time to step up to the plate. I am building it slow and will post pictures. I will accept any help or advice. Bifferwine I will need to buy some magic cheto!!

Ok so here are the very first pictures....
I am going to do a slow build on this, have most of the stuff except for lighting. Thinking of going with LEDs.

Oh ya it is rimless....

Attachments

• DSCN0150.jpg
    DSCN0150.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,870
SWC 120 cone skimmer, heard that they are good for the cost. Have to keep in mind it is only a 50 gallon tank. The wife wants me to put an inukshuk in the front of the tank..
Sounds kinda cool.

Attachments

• DSCN0156.jpg
    DSCN0156.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 947
  • DSCN0158.jpg
    DSCN0158.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,318
I made a stainless steel tray at work, for the bottom, wood seemed fairly thin for 100 pounds of stuff. Also just for piece of mind in case of an overflow or splashing. Have about 3" of bio balls in the back where the return pipe drops down. Too much with the ceramic?

Attachments

• DSCN0159.jpg
    DSCN0159.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 985
I would pull all that stuff out, without frequent cleaning its going to cause my problems than it solves by releasing nitrates back into water from all the decomposing junk it will catch.

+1 lilfish.....some have had success with them, but you have to rinse them off regularly. It's just extra unnecessary work IMO. Great lookin' set up!

I would pull all that stuff out, without frequent cleaning its going to cause my problems than it solves by releasing nitrates back into water from all the decomposing junk it will catch.

Ok, I will take that out there. So what do I put where the return pipe drops down? If I can get Bifferwines attention I want some cheto in the middle section.

The stainless steel tray is a great idea. However, here's the problem with it.

#1. You're going to spill water at some time or another. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

#2. If you have that stainless steel tray under the sump, there is no way to clean it up effectively. then you have standing water, and a nasty smell.

I''d remove it.

I have to leave it in, the bottom wood is only 1/4" thick wafer board. There is no strength for the refugium.

Got a question about the plumbing.
On the return side, I took out all the bio-balls and the fibre filter. How far down does the pipe drop? Does it go above, just below, half way or deeper in the water? Never done this before, hope you can help me out.....

Lighting? Any suggestions.
I already had one for AI LEDS, there is also Vertex. AI is hard to find in Canada.
Any advantage to the extra cost of LED. If you could change would you?
Figure I would change the question as plumbing above had no responses :(

Sorry! The pipe should go beneath the surface of the water, otherwise you will hear noisy splashing. LEDs save a lot of energy. They are becoming more popular and more affordable. They also don't put off as much heat.

Back