chichimom79's 10 Gallon

Wow Angie that really sucks. I would most deff be contacting the manager and getting my money back. Just explain how high their salinity is.

Yeah. I would certainly let those in charge of the store know about the problems you've been having. Perhaps the owner would be willing to make things right by you, as well as correcting the issues in his own tanks. One can hope, anyway..........

Yeah...the guy I usually talk to was the owner of the store before this other guy bought it (he still works for the new owner) and when I bring up the issues, he shrugs and tells me when I can catch the owner around. Sounds like he is fed up with the new owner...

What are your nitrates at? Clams are really really really sensitive to water quality issues.

Another potential hazard with clams is that they attach with their very muscular foot, and when you try and transport the clams the foot can get torn which is a death sentence for them.

API test kit says ~10ppm. I don't think it is a water quality issue because of the evidence of such growth in the coral.
The corals are thriving, in fact, the candy cane that was dying is coming back strong! I think the head that looked completely gone is going to come back as well!! The neon that had started to rot from the center has regrown a mouth, sectioned off the dead parts and is extending again.
Several days ago
018-2.jpg

010-4.jpg

Today
034.jpg

028-1.jpg

I keep finding free floating polyps(?) of some sort. The fuzzy mushroom perhaps? Tried to photograph one but they are tiny. One is stuck between the sand and the glass.
024-2.jpg

026-1.jpg

wow Angie your tank looks AMAZING I just went through your hole thread for the first time today. I love the clowns you went with. Also love the candy cane you have. I'm hopping mine will bounce back from my crash. Its heads are small right now every day I looks better. But I'm just hoping it takes off again and regrows some heads :D

Looks great!

But corals, especially LPS and softies are far more tolerant of bad water conditions than clams. I think the nitrates were a part of the clams issues

Thanks zyber!! I love my clowns too even if they do bite me LOL

Thanks little fish. I will try again another time in the 60. I thought the clams were a little more nitrate tolerant and in fact didn't like the water to be super low nutrient. :dunno:

So you don't need any kind of filter or water circulation for them? How often do you do water changes?

You don't need filtration in smaller tanks because frequent water changes (I do 2x per week) will help keep nitrates in check, but you still definitely need water circulation. The water movement helps oxygenate the water and keeps most fish and corals happy :)

I am doing about two water changes per week. Sometimes just a gallon, sometimes two or three depending on what kind of maintenance I am doing and my water parameters.
I have plenty of water movement(two Koralia 240gph), and I have an Aquaclear30 I am using for added water movement/fuge. I have some chaeto in there right now. It also gives me a way to run carbon occasionally if I need to.

I added a tiny emerald crab on Friday evening and I woke up Sunday to find him dead. Could have been a molt i guess but I haven't seen him since. I wonder if it tried to molt and my clowns ate him. A cleaner shrimp wouldn't bother him while he was molting, would it? The crabs body color was a little on the pale green side. Could it have been sick? Any emerald crab experts out there?

I know this, and thank you. This is the first time it has happened to me, however LOL! I am doing a water change in a few minutes. I am bummed about that shrimp though. He was really cool. The cleaner shrimp in my cube doesn't have near the personality! :(

Back