chichimom79's 10 Gallon

An aquaclear won't help, the intake is far too low. I ran one on my 30g when I first set it up, and did nothing for the film.

Honestly, I think finding a skimmer for a 10g would be difficult. It simply isn't tall enough for most hob skimmers, unless you lifted it off the table. Maybe a DIY overflow would work, but then you would need a sump of some kind.

Tank looks great.

An aquaclear won't help, the intake is far too low. I ran one on my 30g when I first set it up, and did nothing for the film.

Honestly, I think finding a skimmer for a 10g would be difficult. It simply isn't tall enough for most hob skimmers, unless you lifted it off the table. Maybe a DIY overflow would work, but then you would need a sump of some kind.

Tank looks great.

What about the bio cube skimmer? Isn't that small?

There are some amazing handblown glass skimmers that work great for small tank, they just run off an air stone. The guy who makes them lives here in Golden, so lots of nano tanks around here use them and they do a great job. I can get you his info if you like.

Thanks all.

Dana, I am only using live rock and water changes.

I did go ahead and get an Aquaclear 30 and will be hooking it up momentarily. If nothing else, I'm hoping running carbon for a few days will help something. If not, I'm not out that much money and I can always fill the chamber with LR rubble.

Hannah, thanks! I would like the information for future reference. How sturdy are they? I'd hate for it to break.

First a disclaimer that I'm pretty new to the hobby and could be completely wrong, but here are my thoughts! ;)

1. The old candycane looks more like a trumpet to me - I know they are related and have pretty much the same care requirements, but just wanted to throw that out there. If it was happy to begin with, maybe now that it's now adjusted to your lighting it needs to be in a place with more light? Have you tried moving it around in your tank?

2. The frogspan looks open to me in the pic, just small. Last week I bought a good sized frogspan and a much smaller frag of a branching frogspan. The smaller frag looks about as open as yours and appears to be about the same size. Both of mine are placed in similar locations in my tank (with enough room between them so that they aren't stinging each other). I believe the difference is that one is just more mature than the other, not that the smaller one is unhappy. Give yours time to grow and I suspect it will blossom!

3. Is it possible that something is harrassing your candycane/trumpet? Maybe Buttercup or a member of your cuc? That might be causing it to close up a bit on you.

4. I also haven't found much luck in the paper towel method or the removing surface film during water changes method. Repositioning powerheads seems to be the only thing that has worked for me without a skimmer.

5. Try adding some chaeto to your HOB to bring down the nitrates. I just found a cute little clip-on LED light that I've attached to my HOB that seems to work great so far! I know you tried chaeto in your tank before and Buttercup just dragged it all over the place, but maybe it will work in your HOB instead?

Okay, I think that's it for now, I'll let you know if I have any other thoughts :)

" Have you tried moving it around in your tank?"
Yes, I moved it. I am thinking perhaps it got bumped a little roughly by Buttercup. It was in the middle rock that is close to the front glass and there wasn't much swimming room. Also a lot of flow there. I put it in a better location. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of them.

"Give yours time to grow and I suspect it will blossom!"
Thank you. Good to know yours looks similar. I'm a little disappointed in it's color. I hope the LED light and Reef Chili will intensify it's coloring.

"Is it possible that something is harrassing your candycane/trumpet?"
I don't think so. I watch my tank a lot. lol Haven't seen anything.

"Try adding some chaeto to your HOB to bring down the nitrates."
Thanks for the suggestion! Would it be ok to put it on top of carbon?

"Try adding some chaeto to your HOB to bring down the nitrates."
Thanks for the suggestion! Would it be ok to put it on top of carbon?

I really don't know but I'd play it on the safe side and run your carbon first, then add your chaeto after you are done with the carbon. You also might be able to get away without adding an additional light to your HOB since your tank light hangs pretty high - I had to add one to mine since I'm still relying on the hood and stock light that came with the tank, which doesn't illuminate my HOB at at. I'll be curious to hear how the carbon works - I did a 2g water change on my 10g last night and my water was still pretty cloudy this morning. I'm thinking I may need to run some carbon myself if it doesn't clear up.

Also, just another thought/question - can you run carbon and dose with kalkwrasser at the same time?

The corals are doing better already. :)

I'm pretty sure you can dose kalk while running carbon. Hope so because I did this morning. I've got it mixed a half teaspoon per gallon though so that's pretty weak.

Hey, CHICHIMOM, so you know my 10g is done, but I just set up a 20g long https://www.livingreefs.com/prototype220s-20g-long-t40908.html! How long did you cycle before adding fish? and what type of filtration are you going to go with?

I like it!
As far as filtration goes, I just purchased an Aquaclear 30 to run some carbon in. Before that, I was only using live rock and water changes.
I did an instant cycle by using the rock and water from the tank my clowns came out of because I had to. Look at the beginning of my thread. You will see ;)

The tank is doing much better since I started running the carbon. Everything is doing extremely well except for the zoa colony that I glued to a shell. The one zoa that anchored itself in the substrate is growing and reproducing... go figure :dunno:

I am happy to report that both the neon candy cane and the dying one I got free from the LFS are recovering nicely :D

I bought a couple of things yesterday which I am super excited about :bounce: A crocea clam and a pink tipped frogspawn. Ever since I bought the first Euphyllia, I am beginning to wonder if it isn't a torch or a cristata. The polyps seems singular and not branched like a frogspawn. We'll see as it grows I guess. Any opinions?

The new frogspawn is in the back. Here you can see the dead zoas still glued to the rock next to the thriving zoas
016-3.jpg

I watched two brittle stars move out of a rock and across the tank. It kind of looked like the big one was chasing the small one. Ever seen anything like that? Are there mean brittlestars other than the green ones?
013-2.jpg

I'm really bummed :( When I woke this morning, my skunk cleaner shrimp was eating my crocea. I had notice the mantle extension wasn't great yesterday and it was less reactive to light, but the color looked ok. All of the deaths I have had so far have been inverts that have come from my LFS. I think they are being shocked because of how high their salinity is. And yet, they are my best local option....
I slowly drip acclimate and sometimes this takes four hours depending on how high the salinity is in the bags. A few times the salinity was higher than the refractometer would read (higher than 1.030), which was the case when I brought home this clam. A feather duster, one of the cleaner shrimp (who I thought might just be hiding after a molt but it's been two weeks...), and now the clam.
I'm going to try and catch the owner of the store in this evening. He is hardly ever there because he does tank service calls. Between the shrimp and the clam, that's like a hundred bucks of livestock. If he doesn't make this right, I will be starting to shop online, or I will go visit Mr. Coral down in Tulsa. F this! :grumble:

Back