Custom Build Started Sept. 13, 2009 - Present

Can't wait for an update! Your right, if I worked fr a glass company and owned a house I'd prolly have a 500g fish tank

LOL! I can get away with up to 1/4" since we stock tons of it. I was looking at a 6' x 6' x 24". It would take 1/2" tempered and cost me about $900. I'd need a bigger house or get rid of the kids/rabbits and all their crap in the basement to make room for it. A town house just isn't big enough for anything over a 55 gallon. I have to take everyone to the dungeon to see the one I have.

That would probably be my first course of action! :Cheers:

LOL! After this weekend I'd gladly give them away. They did this :fechten2:and this :chair: all weekend. For the first time, I hate to say it, but I was glad to take them back to their mother's.

Must've been something in the air. Mine were insane this weekend, too. There was lots and lots of quiet-in-your-room time.

They share a room so that doesn't work. I did find that if you hang them by their eye lids and whip them until they blink works. LOL! Just kidding. Take away the computer and XBox works just as good. They sit on the couch and pout.

My pet proof screen covering my overflow was driving me crazy. All you heard in the basement and in the kitchen upstairs was water falling down a drain. I came up with an idea to try and quiet it down while in TSC store getting all the new plumbing fittings I am going to need for my new sump. Here's what I came up with.

Old screen on overflow which in a pain in the butt to change when it gets clogged up.
192-OldOverflow.jpg

The new pieces are a 1 1/4" ABS elbow that will attach to the 1 1/4" ABS Female fitting I used before. This will move the inlet below the water like so air won't be sucked in the drain. I added a 1 1/4" ABS cap that I drilled 1/4" holes in to act as the screen to keep everything I want in the tank in the tank. I then drilled a size down from 1/4" hole in the top of the elbow to push a piece of 1/4" air line into the hole to break suction as I didn't account for that much water to drain into the new sump. Everything is dry fitted since it's nice and tight so cleaning it will be a breeze.
193-NewDesign1.jpg

194-NewDesign2.jpg

195-NewDesign3.jpg

Here's the overflow without anything covering it.
196-WideOpen.jpg

I put the new piece on, and yes I forgot to remove the bar code off the end cap. I still hear a little water falling sound but it's a lot quieter. It's so quiet that Kim asked me if I shut the pump off since she couldn't hear it in the kitchen anymore. I guess the design worked. It can barely be heard in the basement too. Now maybe my kids won't have to have the TV cranked to play their video games.

NEW SUMP UPDATE

I checked on the new sump when I came home from work and it's still leak free. I was going to change everything over Wednesday night after work, but I have my kids and it wouldn't be fair to them since I told them I'd play 'Left for dead' with them. Whatever game that is. I feel a butt kicking coming on whatever it is. LOL! I think I'll save it until Friday night to do it then I can turn it back on it the morning before I go pick up my new frags Look for that post here and in the coral section as I have questions about if I should purchase one or not.

New Frags Ordered;

I have placed an order for the following frags from Coral Crazy. These are the exact picture of the pieces I ordered. There are a few more I am not sure about. I posted them in the coral forum.
https://www.livingreefs.com/pros-and-cons-t32559.html#post448711

Pink Zoas - $15.00
pinkzoas.jpg

Blue Clove Polyps - $15.00
BlueClovePolyps.jpg

Red Mushroom - $15.00
redmushroom.jpg

If I made any bad choices please let me know. I like this company because they almost deliver them to my door on their way to the airport to pick up their orders.

Holy Amphipods!! My lights turn out at 10pm so I thought I'd sneak down and see if I could see my new worm friend stretched out. I pulled out the trusty LED flashlight I have I have in the cabinet beside the fish tank and went searching. He was starting to stretch out but nothing like he was when I first saw him. He quickly went and hid. I saw something else move on the bottom of the tank and moved the light down to the substrate and my tank is literaly crawling with Amphipods. They are everywhere. My crabs are going nuts eating them. They are on the glass, on the rock, on the substrate, and on my corals. Guess it helps no having any fish in there for 2 months to get the population growing. I know my sump is just full of them. I hope when I move everything over I don't lose too many of them. It's like a breeding ground in there right now. I know next week when I put the blenny and hawkfish back in there that they'll be big and fat from pigging out!! :mrgreen:

Friday was change the sump night. I emptied everything into 3 totes and 2 5 gallon pails. Cut the plumbing and got ready to pull the old sump out, but I put in in thru the back and it wouldn't come out the front of the stand. After a little trimming with the jig saw, it came out.
198-Removingoldsump.jpg

Moving the new sump around the steal support beam in the basement, I caught the corner of the tank on it. I heard a crunch and checked the corner and it was shaled a little bit. Thinking it would be ok, I lifted it to slide it into place and the corner cracked under the pressure.
199-Crackinnewsump.jpg

I tried to take the bottom off and replace it, but I ended up cracking a few other pieces. I went to the shop to cut some new glass, but there wasn't enough pieces to build so I'll have to wait until Monday to get them cut and build it after work. It won't be until Saturday before I'll be installing it. :grumble:

An order is an order and I had one coming in yesterday for some more corals. I like the ones I picked. Here they are acclimating. (All my pails are full.)
200-NewFrags.jpg

Pink Zoas; (They are still a little mad at being moved.)
201-PinkZoas.jpg

Blue Clove Polyps;
202-BlueCloverPolyps.jpg

Blue Waving Hands; (These guys are liking the new tank.)
203-BlueWavingHand.jpg

Last but not least, my Red Mushroom;
204-RedMushroom.jpg

I'm ordering more rock this week so I'm not going to glue any of these guys down.

I cut new glass for the sump today, and put it togther with the help from my ever loving wife. She must have lots of patience with me or she'd have killed me by now. The basement stinks of silicone, and the main floor has a very light aroma of it. My boss actually charged me for the glass this time. :grumble: Guess 50 square feet of plate in a little over a week is a bit much to go unnoticed by the other owner. Oh well, I needed it and it was only $50. LOL!! Here's some pics of it. Gotta love duct tape!!

205-RebuiltSump1.jpg

206-RebuiltSump2.jpg

207-RebuiltSump3.jpg

Thursday night it should be dry enough for me to leak test it. Yup...gonna do it in the basement, right on the new carpet. We'll see if I live to see Friday morning!!:shock: If all goes according to plan, and I don't break this one, I should have everything installed Saturday. Just in time for my 50 lbs of eco-rock to show up. Put it in, aquascape, and Sunday the fish go back in, along with a few new friends I picked up last week, and Lyle (the owner of the LFS) is being nice and taking care of them for me until everything is up and running.

Geez Barry, that looks very professional. Too bad you live so far away I'd have you build some stuff for me :Cheers:

+1 BL. That looks awesome!

Thanks Brian & Erin. I was going to try my hand at an acrylic sump to replace the broken one, but I'm not too comfortable with the glueing of it yet. Everything I've made so far has leaked. Any ideas on how to glue lexan? We have lots of it at the shop we are trying to get rid of.

Hey Brian....will work for frags + shipping! :Cheers:

Finally, after what seems like forever, I got the new sump into place. The plumbing is finished. I even added an algae scrubber to it. My wife thinks I'm insane for the amount of time I have spent downstairs since 2 weekends ago. I have Pics Pics and a couple more pics.

Here it is!!
208-NewSump1.jpg

Here's a picture of the algae scrubber. I'm going to make it a little wider tomorrow after I drop the boys back off at their Mother's. I thought I made it wide enough for the area I had but I guess not. I think I may run it off my maxi-jet 1200 since the way I have it now there's not as much flow as I want over it. (the people at TSC are starting to know me my sound. Everytime I walk in to get more PVC stuff the anti-theft alarm goes off.) :shock:
209-AlgaeScrubber.jpg

Here a pic of every thing re-plumbed. I need to find a way to get this thing quieter. I hear water falling. I can here it up here in the kitchen. Any suggestions would be great. (Even if it means re-plumbing it again.)
210-NewPlumbing.jpg

Here's some pictures of each section. My grape calupera died from dumb me not putting a light on it while it was in a tote. A lot of my amphipods lived, but 1 Cerith snails died. I had a Astraea snail die in my DT too. Stupid me just about killed everything in my tank. I started moving everything Monday night and unplugged the heater I had hanging in the DT thinking I was going to plug it back in behind the tank and not back into the extension cord in the front. I got busy and forgot to plug it back in. The other 2 heaters were plugged in, but the pump wasn't running so the sump was nice and warm, and the DT was a chilli 68 degrees. Oops. I normally keep it at 78 -79 degrees. I did notice my green striped mushroom was huge! I mean double the size he was yesterday. Anyways, here's the rest of the pics.

Inlet Section;
211-InletSection.jpg

Refugium Section;
212-RefugiumSection.jpg

Baffles and return section. (I need to add some more water tomorrow and make a lower stand for my skimmer. When my scrubber gets going I'll be removing it.)
213-ReturnSection.jpg

I can't wait for this coming weekend. I can finally put my fish back in!!! I think they are starting to really hate the qt tank. I keep forgetting to shut the light off on it. I did buy a timer for it, but never set it up.

Back