d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

Because my sump and everything except the display tank will be in the garage where temps reach WELL over 100 degrees. Houston, baby. ;)

As far as the sump, I was going to use one of those large plastic containers found at feed stores, or something like that, where it can be difficult to install baffles. Would be easier to just daisy chain a couple together, keeping the sump water level at a constant level when the return section is a whole different container.

The section to the left of the door (going into the house) is where the equipment will be set up.
This area is also marked on the floor plan on page 1 of this thread.

20120128DSC6523CrossCreek-M.jpg

If you have the frag tank low to the ground you could have the the overflow from the main tank going to the frag tank, and the overflow in the frag tank goes down the sump? Dunno sound pretty complicated. :?

I'll have a separate pump in the return section (or will tee off the main return pump with a gate valve to control flow) to pump water into the frag tank. The frag tank will be treated like a second display tank i guess.

Hey Dennis, here's a rough diagram of what I was thinking ... Obviously they're pretty similar, the only difference is the first one has one drain going to the refugium and the other going to the sump. The second one has both drains going to the sump but, the return splits off to the refugium.

Setupone.jpg

SetupTwo.jpg

Dennis, these are the same questions I am asking. We are talking about doing a built in with a "fish room" sometime early next year. We are still remodeling our home and going to put this tank in the dining room wall also. I want something in the 8 foot range. I would go as short as 7, but no shorter.
I see the picture, but do you have the space to close that area off in the garage and insulate that room? You could install a small a/c unit ($89) with a digital thermostat to condition that space and then skip the chiller. The foot print of the room would be small and the cost of running that small of an a/c and how cheap they are would be much less expensive short term and long term. If you can't insulate that area then the chiller is a must as you know. I live in North Texas, so I understand the heat issues. Just a thought.
I am also kicking around what would be the best way to plumb a system like this. I will be following along closely and maybe from time to time give you some help.....but it will probably be you giving me help in a few months. LOL
Look this build over and see if it helps.
DFW Marine Aquarium Society • View topic - curts' 300 gallon StarPhire Glass (96X30X24)

I do technically have the option to wall it off, but I'm trying to avoid that for a few reasons.

1. I don't want to make major modifications to the house if I dont have to
2. I don't want to be confined to a small specific interior space.
3. I have a sink in the garage a few feet away (to the right of the garage/house entry) that I want easy access to.
Hopefully a chiller will do it, and having the display completely isolated in a temp controlled home kept at 74 degrees or less should help. Normally i need a heater in my tanks.

I'll check out that thread, thanks! :)

BL1, you rock! Let me look at those more closely.... might make a change or two and see what you think...

Last edited:
That's the simplist way to do it. And simple can be really nice!! Are you wanting in-line reactors? You could put them between your main return and the frag tank. That should be about the right flow.

Also, if you don't mind I would like to know how much the quote was for this custom built tank. If you don't want to post, you could pm me. I am debating doing a custom vs. a stock size.

Maybe I am lost, but you are going to be doing this as a built in(in home, not in wall) and then plumbing it out to the garage for the sump and frag tank? Just guessing but you are going to have 75-150g of water out in the garage and display is around 200g. Thats gonna be a big chiller. Maybe I need to reread the beginning of the thread...LOL

I havent finalized yet, but its looking to be around $2k with the starphire front glass and overflow.

Ya, i was thinking of putting my brs dual reactor somewhere around the frag tank. Wasn't sure if I should do it in-line or keep it running with its own MJ1200 like I have now.

The only modification I would make is do a separate return pump for your frag tank. This will give you some more control i would think.

The only modification I would make is do a separate return pump for your frag tank. This will give you some more control i would think.
I *think* that would just give me the possibility of more flow. I *think* having a gate valve at the split would give me enough control?

That's a pretty ball of chaeto :D
Thank you! I worked hard on that. Color, texture and proportion. :D

How is that T-split between the return pump and the main tank going to work? Ball valve at the frag tank to control the flow going in so the rest will go up? Gotta take your head loss into account there.

How is that T-split between the return pump and the main tank going to work? Ball valve at the frag tank to control the flow going in so the rest will go up? Gotta take your head loss into account there.

I was thinking gate valve between the T and frag tank.

could be wrong on this, but if you only had the one gate valve on the frag side of the TEE then it really wouldnt do much good. You will have a majority of the water passing the frag tank due to the straight run passed the TEE. You would probably be better off placing a gate valve just above the TEE going to the tank and also place one between the TEE and frag tank. That would allow you to balance the flow much better and get the water exactly where you want it to go.

just a thought

Back