d2mini's Epic Fantabulous New Reef Build

Sir your tank is looking INSANELY AMAZING so what another month or 2 and you will be kicking ass again for P.O.M. lol Again just amazing Dennis cant wait to see this in full swing wish fish and corals :D

I love anodized aluminum.

Nice chunky sand. Wait I thought there was rock in there?

Do you have it in the sump for now?

Use Dr. Tims One and Only! It works superb but get his ammonia.

Thanks guys! It's much better than my "beta" unit I cobbled together. haha

I love anodized aluminum.

Nice chunky sand. Wait I thought there was rock in there?

Do you have it in the sump for now?

Use Dr. Tims One and Only! It works superb but get his ammonia.

No rock yet.
No cycle that I am aware of yet. Have not seen any ammonia. Probably will when i get the rock.
The price on that Dr Tims kit is insane, especially when the package from tbs does the same thing. Just putting the sand and bacteria in cleared up my water. I'd probably break down and do it though if I wasn't going with TBS.

Dang when I did my tank it cost me around $40 but I only used about 1/2 the amount it says because I already had live rock from my old tank coming in.

I talked to Dr. TIm many times and I decided that I did not need as much as say a fresh bacterialess tank would need. I had 80+- rock in there cycling and 80+- teeming with bacteria coming in with the fish.

I also seeded my sand with the old sand.

Of course you have the TBS which has it already and I started with new Fiji Pink and seeded with my TBS.

I still have about 80 pounds of dry TBS in a 5 gallon and another 1/2 of a 5 gallon in my garage. I seriously thought about washing it out for a few days and putting it on top of my current sand to change the look a little, or sprinkling it around the rock edges.

Anyway, yeah it is not cheap but he sent me the Ammonia free LOL.

NOTE: I never actually had a "CYCLE" when I used the TBS way back when I started my 80Gal Bow Front. I remember talking with Little Fish over and over and it ended up being my test kits was bad. No Cycle at all.

Ya, we'll see. Last time i had the ammonia spike that required a decent size water change and then it dropped off over the next few days.

That is looking great Dennis! Looks like you have thought of everything! Excellent work and your tank is going to be amazing!

Thanks guys!

Jimbo, those are just standard socket head screws that screw into the bolt heads on the top of the Radions. The head of the screw is wider than the channel in the 80/20 bar, so you just screw all 4 screws onto the radion, then side the radion onto the bars.

6928_md.jpg

Got my mangrove propagules!
There's 54 of them. Looks like I have room for a bunch more! :D

7716904714_8a9feba831_o.jpg

Are you going to add more powerheads later for more flow or is what you have enough? Are those 60's you got on there now? BTW, this thing looks great.

Thanks, it's one 40 and one 60.
I have two more 40's I can add later if I need it.

I bet a 40 and a 60 will work unless you put a lot of LR in. I have two 40's on my 120 and have the power set at about half for the water flow I need.

Check out my new lighting rig! :D
A local reefer found this company that makes what is basically an erector set for grownups. lol
80/20® Inc. - The Industrial Erector Set®
He has radions as well. He gave them the measurements and they put together this kit comprised of all the aluminum bar cut to size, bolts, nuts, and end caps. Since my tank is basically the same size I told him to get me one too! And the crazy part is this cost the same as the crappy one i made!
It's all black anodized aluminum, super strong, looks great and it all works perfectly. The radions slide back and forth with ease.

Is there a name of someone at 8020 we should ask for if we were to obtain a similar mounting rig like that? ...that is, if they'd ship one ...or will they not make one for just anyone? ;-)

I'm seriously thinking about selling my 2 Aqua UFO's and getting two of these Radions for my 120. The Aqua UFO's are nice, but a bit too small for full coverage. They'd be better on a 3' tank.

Ya, i think the 40 and 60 will be enough unless they just can't reach certain areas.

The 8020 stuff was sourced through one of their local distributers here in the Houston area. You can look up their distributers on their website.
The other local reefer who did it just gave the guy dimensions and they cut everything to spec. The screws to hold the radions were sourced elsewhere.

Ya, i think the 40 and 60 will be enough unless they just can't reach certain areas.

The 8020 stuff was sourced through one of their local distributers here in the Houston area. You can look up their distributers on their website.
The other local reefer who did it just gave the guy dimensions and they cut everything to spec. The screws to hold the radions were sourced elsewhere.

I bet they could make a killing if they started mass producing those and selling them as kits. :)

EDIT: Do you know if that stuff is the 1010-black or 1515-black?

Last edited:
Back