Dixie's 10gal mixed reef

So I got the goby to eat a few pieces of mysis yesterday but I went to feed today and he isn't acting like he wants anything to do with it. Should I feed him every other day to see if he builds an appetite or keep offering it to him every day? By the way, I have named him Bash (short for bashful).

A few new pics.
IMAG2122.jpg

Name those Zoas!?
IMAG2120.jpg

IMAG2117.jpg

By the way, Bash is starting to come out a little more. I couldn't resist and offered him some food and he came out for a second and ate it up and even stole some from my hermit. Payback I guess. :)

Look great! And glad to hear that about Bash, means he is getting comfy in his new home!

And I am terrible with zoa names, they are just pretty zoa 1, pretty zoa 2 etc to me :)

How many snails and hermits can I have in a 10 gallon? Ever since i got my new lights, the algae growth has exploded. It makes my rocks look fuzzy and It is starting to grow on my candy canes but it is brown on them. What kind of algae is it? My nitrates are around 10-15. I currently have 9 snails, one turbo that I bought yesterday, 2 nass, 3 cerith that i don't hardly ever see, 2 margarita, one astrea, and 2 hermits. I just started a black out on my tank.

IMAG2146.jpg

I'd get a few more astrea and nassarius snails. I also think a powerhead will help a lot once you can get that in there! I found the astrea and turbos to be my best algae eaters. And nassarius snails are just good to have - I'd up it to at least 5 nassarius :)

Just went to check on the tank and my duncan obviously does not like being in total dark so I turned on the moon lights. Will those four leds still let the algae grow?

Went back to Nashville today and picked up a teeny tiny black and white clown, a frog spawn, an open brain, a sun coral, a few more hermits, and an emerald crabs. Pictures in the morning.

To answer your question, I have an emerald crab and have done a decent amount of research on them and I haven't found anything to suggest that they are ever aggressive except to their own species.

To answer your question, I have an emerald crab and have done a decent amount of research on them and I haven't found anything to suggest that they are ever aggressive except to their own species.

I've legit seen one eat the face off an other fish! Lol and they like to eat zoas

Of course every individual creature is different. It seems like the vast majority of information available online that they are generally peaceful.

They are generally peaceful, but the big ones have been known to catch and eat fish. Crabs are opportunistic predator, and if the opportunity arises, they will take advantage of it.

Pictures as promised.
IMAG2164.jpg

IMAG2163.jpg

IMAG2162.jpg

IMAG2155.jpg

I need some help with the brain. The owner of the store filled me in that it is not doing well and he did not have the time to nurse it back. He told me that if it does not recover, that he will refund the money I paid(he sold it to me cheap because of its health) or give me the amount back in fish or corals. I did a 20% water change yesterday while it was acclimating, and I just did a 10% water change today. I'm trying to get my no3 down as much as i can. It was at 10 before the 10% change. What can I do to get it healthy again? I only have my 2 blue lights on it right now to not stress it so much and my moon lights on at night.

By the way, my husband named his little clownfish I got for him Laf (little ass fish). I like it because it sounds like laugh and hes a clown and it plays on the word sounds.

Ya, that brain coral doesnt look good. What sort of lights to do you have? Good water quality and good lighting will be the best help for getting that coral back on track.

Also, fyi, that sun coral is non-photosynthetic so you will need to feed every head a few times a week for it to survive.

Yes I know about the sun coral. I did my research before I bought it. I spot fed each head today.

And my light is brand new. It's an odysea (sp?) t5 ho fixture, has 2 t5 whites, 2 acitanic (sp) blues, and 4 moonlight blue leds.

Back