Doc's Reef Build

Doc has anger management issues!:D

Not anymore... I got them out on that tang!!! My coral has returned to his fat, swollen splendor (insert genital joke...here ;-) )

I am happy to say my tank is back to normal and I will not be adding another tang into the tank until I find some rare black tang, or some kind of chevron or orange shoulder tang or something..... maybe a spadefish or batfish or... nothing since I am broke. CRAP!!!

-Doc

chevron tang would be a good choice or a black tang if you can find one and then afford it, my LFS had about 5 last week going for 600-800 dollars a piece. and i think liveaquaria had a crap load in not to long ago and still might because they posted it on there main shopping page.

IMO a batfish shouldnt ever be kept in any home aquaria. They just get too tall and will shred their fins on the rock.

Tisk tisk doc...

Really the only thing my yellow tangs nip at is aglae... could it have been there was algawe on the brain... a touch enough to entice the tellow feand... you could have but some broccoli on a vegi clip and waited with your net in the ready possition and swooped him up... Put it in a cooler and shipped it to KY.. to live in tang heaven...

Is that the brain that I mentioned from a picture you posted was detaching from its skeleton? If so, it was probably algae growing on the already dying coral.

Tisk tisk doc...

Really the only thing my yellow tangs nip at is aglae... could it have been there was algawe on the brain... a touch enough to entice the tellow feand... you could have but some broccoli on a vegi clip and waited with your net in the ready possition and swooped him up... Put it in a cooler and shipped it to KY.. to live in tang heaven...

Algae? Young man, I have no algae in my tanks! LMOA!!!!

I promise, he was all over the actual coral. I noticed the behavior two weeks prior and watched closely. I blew off any possible cyano, algae, anything... off the coral with a turkey baster every other day for a while just to make sure. I watched him go back to the same spot and pick at the same meaty spot over and over, exposing the skeleton. I was not happy. I feed twice daily, emerald entree and marine cuisine. I feed algae strips three times a week, which sends my bioload spinning and my skimmer keeps up with it (gotta love the octopus!!!). I promise you, it was an evil fish. I have had little luck with zebramosa. The one purple tang I tried ended up killing three fish and this little bastard went after one of my favorite corals.

I did try for 5 days straight to net him before resorting to violence. I was going to banish him to the world of "Squishy", but he chose his own fate and at that point, I was happy to send him there!

-Doc

Is that the brain that I mentioned from a picture you posted was detaching from its skeleton? If so, it was probably algae growing on the already dying coral.

No, that is my superman coral. (that is what I call it since it is red and blue - SOOOO freakin' cool). The one he was attacking was the metallic green scolymia, I think that it what it is called, the meaty open brain?! Hell, fish are my thing, not the coral. They just provide a pretty background for my amazing fish. I have noticed a bit of algae growing the the old skeleton on that coral, but he never went near it. Always the same coral, 50 times a day it seemed like. I hand feed 6 of my corals and I thought maybe he was looking for residual food the coral didn't eat, but if that were the case, he should be also have been picking on my bubble, Acan, red and green brain, superman and goni. Nope, he just spent his time all over that one coral. He was just evil. I didn't make my decision lightly, I had to meditate on it and drink several shots of liquid courage before dawning my combat gear and war paint. It was no small matter! ;-)

-Doc

Yup. The countdown is ON!!! I am going to drastically change my reef tank. Seeing as how I keep getting the SHAFT (:grumble:) with these freaking POTM things, I decided I needed a big change to hang with all the big boys. Bastards..... ;-)

So, I am overhauling my 90 gallon reef right after Christmas. That puts me about 3 weeks for a HUGE change to my reef tank. One that had best make you all DROOL in envy or at least win me some POTM votes. I may need to get a better camera or at least learn how to take pictures of my stuff! I may pay Yote for a tutorial (LOL)

OK, enough talk, time to make you wonder. I placed one piece of my change on "hold" for the day after Christmas today. I talked about the plans with my LFS guy and he loved the idea. Time to plan and save money (OK, steal it from my kids' piggy bank, let's be honest).

-Doc

you wont get my vote doc if you order me to give it to you like that again:mrgreen:, and how about a little bit of details

I hope to earn your vote, I was simply venting some frustration about getting the shaft, even though angelfish are the best :mrgreen::mrgreen:. Venting keeps me from drinking.... ;-)

As for my changes and details, I think I want to add bigger fish. Bigger fish would naturally mean..... a bigger tank ;-)

-Doc

Ooo ooo I know I know pick me pick me!

Docs swapping his two tanks to the lady with the fish store with the monster tank!(and probably some cash too!)

Ooo ooo I know I know pick me pick me!

Docs swapping his two tanks to the lady with the fish store with the monster tank!(and probably some cash too!)

Um.... No. She lives 3hrs away. Nope. Still keeping 2 tanks. Just getting a bigger reef tank. Plus a nifty new friend. :-)

-Doc

well he did say hes keeping two tanks and getting a bigger reef tank. so i interpreted it one of two ways, 1. he is getting three tanks, or 2. he is getting rid of his reef tank and getting a bigger one. i went with the first option which i guess was the wrong one

Back