Doc's Shark Tank

Here are the rest of the pics:

P5010037.jpg

I put more support beams between the corners and the middle section for extra support. they really seemed to make a difference

P5020038.jpg

here is the back of the tank

P5020039.jpg

I put two more supports in between the center of the stand and I will have two large doors on either side to get into the 90 gallon sump I just bought. (I have to go pick that up tonight.)

P5020040.jpg

finished frame of the stand. YAY. So, does it look like it will support the weight of the tank? I sure hope so because I am about to finish it now and I will not be checking the forum until after I am done with it all.

I am also going to throw in a cross brace in the middle of the tank just to make sure it is stable from the center.

-Doc

Doc how are you gonna get your 90 sump under that stand with all the extra braces on the back? I would eliminate them completely. if you still feel uncomfortable with the back being wide open double up the 2x4 header but its unnecessary

I am dropping the stand on top of the sump, which will sit flat on the carpet. I am not adding a bottom on the stand. It will just sit on the carpet. It just barely fits. The sump really fills up with room under the stand. Good question though. I did think of that one ahead of time

-Doc

OK, here are a few more pics of some finish work I have done. You can see the middle brace I put in. It REALLY makes a different in the stability.

I am using bead board to finish the front and I have some really cool molding to finish it up. I hope I can make it work. I am going to try tomorrow to finish it up. It is a cherry wood finish.

P5020001.jpg

P5020002.jpg

oh, and you got a bonus shot of my Pug, "Meathead"

-Doc

Last edited:
I am posting these pics twice, once here and on a different thread. I need info about what to do with this sump I just got. i have to clean it and it has two pre-drilled holes and I am not sure what to do with it. are the bulkheads for intake from the tank OR for return to the DT after filtration. Ideas?

P5020003.jpg

P5020004.jpg

I need some direction here. I want to get everything set up tomorrow. the tank already has one baffle siliconed in with space under the baffle.

-Doc

Have you ever thought about using a sheet of plywood on the top of the frame like they do with acrylic tanks and just cut out the spots for all the pluming? but all the pics look great thats going to one hell of a system you are setting up

Have you ever thought about using a sheet of plywood on the top of the frame like they do with acrylic tanks and just cut out the spots for all the pluming? but all the pics look great thats going to one hell of a system you are setting up

No, I cannot see a benefit in that. Not to mention that seems to require exact measurements and I am really not good at that whole "exact" thing. thanks for the idea though.

Lookin good Doc! Thats not an over build if you've seen my DIY stand frame, LoL. I think my stand could hold up a 18 wheeler :coolgleem I did do what Daugherty mentioned and put a piece of stained wood over the top to help even out the surface that the tank is sitting on. I didn't cut it to match the tank as i have a bowfront but rather cut it to overhang the stand an inch or so. I was peronoid when i built it and didn't want to put more stress on one corner than what there was suppose to be, not sure if it was necessary though.

I just went to home depot (again), and I think I have everything I need to finish the tank stand. Finally. Unless I screw up the cuts, in which case, I get to go back. I hate that place.

I should have it done by this afternoon and I will post pics when it looks decent (I hope). I am so not a DIY kind of guy. If you couldn't tell ;)

-Doc

what makes me mad is when i go in to there to get a light fixture. and go to ask to get some hepl in the lighting section and the lasy asks me wgy i need help. i said to her as you can see i have i light in my hand and i am looking for one just like it. they just gure stupid people who dont care.

Back