Doc's Shark Tank

removing the door, and the door frame is going to give you at least 3" You will have a 2x4 on either side of the door, they are 1.5" wide. Remove the trim, and you will see what I'm taking about. If you are careful, you can do this without damaging drywall, slide your tank in and replace the frame. I definately would not give up on a 500g tank over 3 inches!

Oh, wait, you said the door and frame was 29"? Remove the door and frame, trim back the drywall, cut out larger hole, get tank down there and replace with a 32" door in case you ever have to pull it back out

how tall is it? can you turn it side ways if the hight is shorter then the depth. can you put it on a trolly and wheel it in with the length of the tank going up and down

I am toying with removing the door and cutting back the opening and removing the door altogether. I will just frame in some cool looking trim and leave it as a walk-way. My wife likes that idea better than trying to figure out how to hang a larger door. I don't know, I am kinda nervous. There is some loser ahead of me on the list to look at it. I tried to inform the guy selling it that he really does want to sell it to ME, but he said it was only fair to wait until it was my turn. GRRRR I will be pissed off is he sells it to some IDIOT who just wants to raise bass or something like that....

-Doc

1.) find out where the guy lives, slash his tires so he is a no-show and then just happen to arrive at the guys house to buy it.

2.) find out what day they are meeting and arrive before him and pretend you are him and buy it and haul it out fast.

3.) offer the guy more money or frags or mental help

1.) find out where the guy lives, slash his tires so he is a no-show and then just happen to arrive at the guys house to buy it.

2.) find out what day they are meeting and arrive before him and pretend you are him and buy it and haul it out fast.

3.) offer the guy more money or frags or mental help
agreed

Well, I have spent most of the night measuring and figuring. I just cannot see how it will work. The door isn't the problem. It is the wall at the bottom of the stairs. It is a small landing which will only provide me with 5 feet of maneuvering. The stairway is 40 inches in width, which just won't be able to get the tank down and turned around to move it into the room. It just cannot be done without removing an entire wall. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board. I got excited for a bit there.

-Doc

doc that isnt a hard problem to solve. when the first people carrying the tank get to the bottom of the stairs have the get there end of the tank low to the ground and the people carrying it at the back lift it up so it is tilted and that should give you more room to work with

we have to tip furniture up on end to get em into our basement. You'd be surprised what you could manuever around sharp corners. theres been times i would have bet hundreds against getting something down our stairs only to see it happen.

Doc I have a plan! Go to Uhaul on tank moving day, rent the type of dolly that has the straps(for moving large appliances) get some high density foam rubber. Put it on the dolly endwise with foam under the end lower the tank with someone downstairs helping one step at a time. Turn the corner and you are home free! Maybe put a piece of plywood between the glass and foam rubber to keep from stressing the glass. IT WORKS IVE SEEN IT DONE!

doc that isnt a hard problem to solve. when the first people carrying the tank get to the bottom of the stairs have the get there end of the tank low to the ground and the people carrying it at the back lift it up so it is tilted and that should give you more room to work with

This normally would work but the twisting and angles put lots of stress on the silicone joints. Plus they weigh a ton(well not literally but my 180 weighs between 350-450lbs) made of half inch plate glass!

i appreciate all of your help. I am really sad I cannot get this tank. I told the guy to sell it to someone else. I am going to be satisfied with a 265. Just as long as I beat biff in tank volume. I spent last night dreaming of what fish I could keep in a 500 gallon DT and 125 sump. Stingray, 8 angelfish, two sharks, wow, it got me all hot and bothered!!!

-Doc

I am going to finish the stand this week and get the tank next week. my gov't check will be in my acct saturday the 9th. I am TOTALLY excited. YAY

-Doc

Back