Dr Marco's 125 experiment

No, a 135 is too small for an adult brown banded bamboo to live a full life. If you attempt to keep it for a long time, it will stress out when it does not have enough room to turn around (right about 2.5 feet in length) and it will die. The thing is, it takes a few years for them to get that big. I bought my first one about 4 months after I got my tank running and it was just over a foot in length. I got rid of him cuz I wanted something different, like angelfish. I had him for a while, just about 15 months. During that time, he grew just about a foot in that time. Now then, that is pretty fast, but I power fed him daily. You can keep one for about two years before you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank. They get pretty big, about 3.5 feet long, but they only need a 180 to live a full life (about 10 years).

I am planning a 210, minimum, next year. I feel comfortable getting one, knowing he will get a bigger home before he outgrows his current house.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

good news. the coralline is starting to grow back on the walls of my tank. It has been three weeks, but there is enough on the rocks to seed it back on. Hopefully within a few months, the tank will regain its lustre.

-Doc

good deal. my coraline is spreading really fast right now too. its sweet :) My friends origional plan for the 180 was to get a bamboo shark, but i decided those plans would change when i got it. I love sharks. they have always been a huge fascination to me, but i just dont really want one at this time. i need to wait till i have a tank large enough for black tip reef sharks !

I looked into a tank for a black tip reef. You are looking at a minimum of 1500 gallons, to keep it happy, 2000 gallons. That is a BIG freaking tank!!!

-Doc

oh yes I know this....... but I'm still very serious when I say that I seriously want a tank that big...... well bigger. I want him/her to be really comfortable, not just ok

Wow thats huge tank club talk there !

Could you imagine the.... Wow i wanna help you set it up when the time comes!

i checked into the cost as well. It is a small mint and fortune to set up, not to mention maintain. I have not been able to figure out how to afford it and still live. I have my sights set a lot smaller, but still impressive size

-Doc

I'm sure its all custom built right. lile you wouldn't actually have a specific dimension on a 4000 gal tank. it would be just whatever you wanted I assume. like 14x14x10 or whatever worked for your space you had right.

it looks like such a huge undertaking, the guy who built it clearly has WAYYYY more time than I do for that. Not to mention has construction skills. I was planning on having someone come in and build it for me! WHen I get a spare $25,000 - I am all over it

-Doc

I grabbed a few shots of the corals still in my tank

-Doc

PB120004.jpg

PB120005.jpg

PB120006.jpg

and a bonus of the Sohal - eating like a pig he is!!!

Back