Ecotech Vortech MP20 or MP10's?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I'm in the market to buy a good powerhead(s). Would you advise to buy (1) MP20 or (2) MP10's. Click on the links below for specs on each pump. FYI: I can get the (2) MP10's for $50 more than (1) MP20. I appreciate all your advise and suggestions as this is a big decison for me. Spending $300+ on a powerhead is a lot and I want to do it right.

VorTech MP10 Propeller Pump | EcoTech Marine MP10 Specs

VorTech MP20 Propeller Pump | EcoTech Marine MP20 Specs

Thanks!

Last edited:
i think i wouls do 2 mp 10's just so that they will work with each other. one will turn on and the other will turn off. as long as they sync with each other like the mp 20's and the 40's do

With the regular MP10 you cannot sync them together. You would have to upgrade to the MP10WES, which is wireless and cost $100 more per pump. I do not want to spend that much more.

Or you do guys think I'm crazy for spending so much on powerhead(s)? I already have (2) K3's (never used yet), a K2, a K1 and Knano and a 442gph return pump back into the DT. I know I have plenty of flow, but the idea of having controllable flow is nice. Is it really worth the money?

Is it really worth the money?
I think it depends on what you can afford.
You can buy a Jeep or a Hummer and both will get you up the mountain. Is the Hummer worth the extra money?

You can use a couple Koralias or a Vortech. Both will move the water, but there are alot more ways of moving the water with the Vortech. If I could afford it, I would have 2 MP40's.....but I, personally, can't justify the $800. If you don't think the cost puts too big of a dent in your wallet, they are worth it.
If you plan on upgrading to the 50, I would suggest passing on the MP10.

I can't really help you Dave.

I just bought an RKE which has wavemaker function and 4 Koralia Evo 1400 for the the price of just one Vortech M40.The price just doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, after thinking things over I have decided against spending the money. It really doesn't make much sense to me at this point since I already have the right powerheads and 2 of them haven't even been used yet. I should spend the money on more livestock and rock.

Or you do guys think I'm crazy for spending so much on powerhead(s)? I already have (2) K3's (never used yet), a K2, a K1 and Knano and a 442gph return pump back into the DT. I know I have plenty of flow, but the idea of having controllable flow is nice. Is it really worth the money?

Good God, that's alot of powerheads for your tank :shock:

Good God, that's alot of powerheads for your tank :shock:

Yeah, I took some lessons from Yote and Ccapt about flow. Right now in my 29g I have the 442gph return pump, K1, K2 and KNano. I still have some dead spots and spots with weak flow, but its ok I guess. I have tons of water movement at the surface which is good. I'm toying around with the idea of putting one of the K3's in there to see what it does.

Back