Fitting Lifereef into a 180 stand

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Okay, so I have a Lifereef LifeRefugium II sump system that needs to go under my 180 gallon Aqueon / All Glass Aquarium. It is full of rock sitting on a 72 X 24 stand. If I could get one of the doors and the vertical board it is attached to out, I could fit the system in without emptying the tank and moving it off the stand.

I know people have said it can be done, I've looked at it tonight and I can't figure out HOW to get the door and the vertical board out. It doesn't appear to be nailed or screwed into place, I am thinking it is glued.

Is anyone familiar with these stands that can point me in the right direction? Carefully pound it out with a hammer perhaps?

If I was gonna take that center support out,even for a second.I'd rig up a jack or something to hold it up until I got the sump in place and the support back in.
To much weight there to take a chance with IMO.

You mention rocks so I am going to guess there is water in the tank too.

My suggestion is the same as Yote.People usually hammer out the middle post and support it the center with something..,board,jack,something.My old aqueon had two doors(french doors) that open big enough for my Lifereef system to slide in easily which is 64'' long.

Not familiar with the stand, but I wouldn't go removing braces from a stand that has a tank on it. Your tank weighs over 300lbs empty. add the rock and water if it's filled and that's over 2000 lbs. If the stand collapes with the tank on top, it could very easily kill you. If you've gotta do it, remove the tank first.

The tank is not full of water, just the rock (to get it out of the way). Most of the tanks weight is on the corners of the stand, the center brace doesn't touch the tank, I'm fairly sure it's primarily there for the stability of the stand and to keep the tank from torquing

I have found a few posts on other sites where people removed it to get under the tank, I'll report back on how it works

is it possible or easier to put it in from the side or the stand? Or maybe get a couple of neighbors to move it off the stand, drop the sump in that way?

If it's not filled with water, then you can remove it.

I think everyone here was under the impression that it was filled.

Being as theres no water.Why rick breaking the tank and getting yourself hurt? Its not worth that to get a sump in place.Take the time to set the tank off the stand where you can place the sump without any risk.

Those 180's are a pain in the butt eh!? you need atleast 3 people to move it and 4 if you don't want to put a whole through a wall or piece of furniture. I can definatly sympathize with not wanting to move the tank. When i refinished my stand i just sealed the tank with saran wrap to keep any chemicals from getting in rather than move the tank out of the way haha

Back