LionFish's Journey to the Big Tank Club (Loads of pics)

Everything looks great and cute kids Lion.

Since you have a canopy,I guess your going retro.Have you decided with what you going to do with that.

can you have a canopy without retro fits? Let's say...someone found an amazing deal on 48" T-5s with those cool legs and wanted to add a canopy, is that possible? would the enclosed lights create too much heat for the tank?

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I will take a photo !

The top of the canopy is quite open it has like a Picket fence look
It may heat up a lil more but nothing a fan cant handle, Most of the legs I have seen are mainly mounted more on the inside of a tank, if that helps
I can still add a tank mounted light to my tank with the canopy>

introducing...

FRANKINSUMP!
newtank001-2.jpg

newtank002-1.jpg

45 G Heavy duty Tub A ton of piping and a 2000 GPH pond pump,
Sounds like a mad science lab

Went to pick up some sand from a LFS near me and walked in to the Greatest Score in history,

The store was taking down the Salt display they had ( a 170 + Bow I believe)

The manager walket over to me Loading bag after bag of sand , and asked me if I wanted some for free , I said HELL YEAH , obtained 200 LBS of 5 year old tank sand FREE!!!!!

He then asked if i wanted Some of the Larger pieses of LR he had For $2.00 a LB I got 55 lbs.

I have heard that the plastic tubs will corrode away over time if used as a sump and leech impurities into your water. I hope I am wrong. Don't mean to pee in your cheerios.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I was asking because most 72'' fixtures don't fit inside a canopy.I didn't want to do retro fitting so I chose not to get the canopy with my set up.

Congratulations on the deal.Post pics of the rocks when you can.

Great deal Lion.

Doc,
Bermuda(LFS I help at for store credit) has been running the same tubs as sumps for the last 5 or 6 years that I know of.
As long as there not in direct sun light they wont corrode.

Thanks yote .
I had asked my LFS friend and he told me to stay away from the sterilight brand that they were known to crack under load but most other Heavy Duty rated tubs would work fine.

as requested,
1-1003-1.jpg

I stuck my 265 Watt PC's on the tank today to see if I can fit a fixture under the canopy
Mounted Way wrong
1-1005.jpg

It just Fits
1-1006.jpg

1-1004.jpg

So I am sure i can find a 72' T5 set-up that will fit without a doubt.

The constilation measures smaller hight than my PC light Reeffreek, I know that will fit.

The PC's the tank lol
1-1007.jpg

I was more worried about length than height.The canopy for the All-Glass only had 70'' length wise on the inside so I would of had to go with a retro and not the constellation.That means I would of had to DIY.Me and DIY don't go good together.

I guess your next step is more rocks?
Oh and good luck again on this project,it nice seeing everybody's going big.

Back