List of EVERYTHING for a 75 gallon reef tank.

Yes, they come with hanging hardware. You will need the cables, but they come with the clips that are made for the light. I can send you mine if they don't. I had to order the legs. Mine also came with a free lens cover, which is an option at most sites. I wish I could remeber where I got mine. I;ll look it up later, trying to take the kids to Great Adventure today!!! (Six Flags)

Bulbs are pretty personal, I run 2 deep blue actinics, one purple plus, and one 14k. I like it on the bluer side. makes the corals "pop". Plus I run a led moonlight bar in there from Digikits.com

Hey SeaBee, something i was thinking about last night.

Did you use the Current 4 bulb fixture or the Pro that has 6 bulbs? Because the 4 bulbs fixture comes with a very crappy reflector, and isnt even considered to be a true individual reflector.

But i do agree with SeaBee that you are probably going to be better off with a t5 fixture over a 75. But i think you are going to want at least 6 bulbs to be able to keep that nem you eventually want.

I have the 6 bulb and never heard anything bad about the reflectors or the fixture.

Well it works for me stuff. I don't know anything about the TEK, I guess everyone has their own personal likes for lights. I just would rather not use MH I guess. Too hot for me.

I had the Pro fixture. I liked them until it brooke, then I had a hard time finding a ballast. After I did find one online, I got them (2 ballasts) I had them overnighted, cost like $89 to get them. I installed them and one burned out on the bench, mind you I am a contractor, so I can solder these in and used heat shrink on the connections. Then I had it on the tank and two days later the other ballast burned out. So I called who I bought them from, the ysaid, Current has a real problem with parts in this country, and they cant keep them in stock. So that should tell you something, red flag on parts. I went over to home depot and they had a compatable ballast right on the shelf, :pooh:, I could've saved a lot of money, they were only $16! Meanwhile, I have a TEK enroute because I was freaking out about the corals dyeing. Well, the Current is now in the attic for back up, and suspect I wont ever need it.

Little Fish, what do you think of the little brackets that hold the lamp? Mine like broke as soon as I touched them.

Did you guys ever try to get a ballast for your light? I would get them and have them ready, because, when they go, its hard to find them. JMO

And the TEK light is made in the USA, I like that.

Im sorry you had such a bad experience with them, but you are still the only person i know that has had that experience.

II like the TEK fixtures, I have had two Current fixtures and then got a TEK after we started selling them at the store, its made a whole lot better than the Current, and the reflector has got to be seen to be believed.

But i do think its funny that you accused me of getting a commission from Current every time i mention them when it sounds like you sell the the TEK products from your store.

Also the Odessey products have been revamped and the newer models are quite nice. Many people on here have gotten them of late and have not had any of the problems the older ones were know for.

Also, i cant think of a single fixture that come with good bulbs. But they will work fine for more than softies and LPS. They arent that shitty. If your fixture is suppose to put out enough light to keep the high end beasties, then it will be able to keep them. I just recommend that you change out those bulbs a little earlier.

But Alex, it looks like both lights are more than adequate for what you want. So just pick which ever one you want.

Lots of people here have bought Odyssea lights and have great experiences with them. They are the best choice if your #1 priority is price.

The bulbs do not need to be changed right away. The bulbs they come with are fine to keep most things, but just aren't very high quality. Change them when it comes time to buy new bulbs. In a brand new tank, there's absolutely no reason to buy new bulbs right away. It's going to take a while for your tank to get settled in.

Im with Biff, i have a Odyssea light. Great, bulbs give good corals growth, atinics are awesome and i love the moon lights when i go to sleep! :D
I did have a problem with the ballast, sent it back and they replaced it and paid for the postage.
I will be changing the ballast very soon also.

Yeah, he wants to use a hood, so thats a lot of heat, he'll need fans with MH.

I'm getting a hood but i don't need to use it. I probably won't. Anyone have a link to a place where I can buy bulbs that will work on the odysseas?

I've heard of problems with the odyssea metal halide ballast not being powerful enough or the better bulbs like Phoenix. Maybe they've fixed that with the newer gen ballasts. If you are going with t5s I'd definitely check out reefshops. I'm really happy with my fixture.
The bulbs I use are KZ bulbs. I have 2 10k, 2 14K, 1 20 K and a Fiji purple.

For the odyssea? Can't say for sure. Make sure you get the right type though, either single ended or double ended. Also 20k is really blue if that's what you are going for. A lot of people use 14k and maybe supplement the blue with t5s.

They look double sided to me.

54248-4.jpg

Odyessa fixtures are double ended. You need to make sure you get the right wattage for your ballast though.

Back