Marinne's 75G Reef

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
I figured since my tank cycled and I actually have livestock that I should start a tank showcase thread.

When I first had the idea of a saltwater tank, I was terrified that I would kill everything and mess something up...well so far so good, no deaths and I feel confident!!

my tank has been up since 16 Feb 2013 and is doing great, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates(working on getting them down), 0 phosphate and calcium is at 450

here is how it started, first attempt at aquascape

DSC_0074_zps71346fe2.jpg

added some fully cured live rock and changed the rockwork a bit
DSC_0105_zpse76b0770.jpg

the final rock work and first addition of livestock...two percula clowns
DSC_0160_zpsc58e83cf.jpg

thanks!! when do you think I can add a CUC? the clowns have been in there for 5 full days and no spikes

maybe just add a small CUC: 5 hermits and 10 snails maybe

I usually wait until you see some algae start to grow, then you know they are something to eat. I would get more snails than that, and make sure you get a variety. Each will target a different type of algae and surface.

there is def algae, I just didn't know if they would be a big bio-load

I was planning on getting astrea snails, nassirus snails and whatever else my LFS has

the only reason I said 10 is I don't want to add to many at once

I think I might wait awhile before adding a shrimp...maybe when I get my next fish :D

I am thinking of a 6 line wrasse or flame angel

hammer coral
DSC_0001_zpsd4cf80e5.jpg

frogspawn
DSC_0003_zps0d6660fd.jpg

mushroom colony (came on the piece of rock!!)
DSC_0002_zps5596fed2.jpg

not sure what this is??
DSC_0004_zps625cbf88.jpg

brain coral frag
DSC_0005_zps3080ac98.jpg

my favorite CUC addition
DSC_0006_zpsd3399876.jpg

I love the way Flame Angels look! Not sure how big they get though, nor how active they are. Lil_fish would be able to tell if you much better then I, if it's a good sized fish for your tank. I think it would be a awesome idea if it will thrive in your tank :)

sweet...I picked up 10 nassirus snails, 6 Astrea snail, 4 Margarita snails and an emerald crab for now
I so hate to mention this .....you have been so good with everything so far but those margarita snails will be the first thing to die in your tank. They are a cold water snail and will not last more then a month or so. Saltwater Aquarium Snails for Marine Reef Aquariums: Margarita Snail Most of us have tried them, I have a few hermits running around in their shells in my tank. It seems when they say the max temp is 78 they really mean it. I keep my tank min temp at 78.5

I will note that...my tank is at 77.5, I am home all day so if I see them dieing off I will take them out

thanks for the info

I did only get 4, I didn't know much about them...should have prob done some research

Last edited:
We have all ended up buying them at one time or another. Four snails dying wont be a huge factor in your tank. Like I said my hermits have some cool looking shells at least. :D

Back