My First Reef Tank (29Gallons)

my lights are coiming in today im going to hang them above the tank. how far above the water should the lights be?

My lights came in I am very pleased with them.
Before:
DSCN0603.jpg

After:
DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

How high above the water should I have them?

That is a HUGE difference! They really make your tank look great!

Usually people keep their lights 8" to 12" above the water. You can move them up or down depending on the heat they put out.

I have a quick qeustion when I put the new lights on my tank about a hour later i started seeing little bubbles popping up on the rocks now the are on my sand. What can that be and what should I do about it?

The new lights made a huge difference.
Those bubbles are the algae photosynthesizing.You'll probably want to start by just running them 4 or 5 hours a day for a week or so.Then add 15 to 30 minutes a day after that until your up to 8 to 12 hours.
You'll basically have to acclimate your tank to the new lights.

Peotein skimmer came into today, octopus has got to have the worst instructions on how to put the skimmers together it took me forever and this thing is spitting out micro bubbles...anyone have an idea how to stop the bubbles?

It'll take a while for the micro bubbles to stop.Your skimmer has to break in.That usually takes a couple of weeks,after that the bubbles SHOULD settle down some.

Peotein skimmer came into today, octopus has got to have the worst instructions on how to put the skimmers together it took me forever and this thing is spitting out micro bubbles...anyone have an idea how to stop the bubbles?

Did you get the HOB model? If so, it took about a week for mine to stop spitting out bubbles

Bryan--How are those lights working out for you?? I have a 29 gal too and I'm looking to get lights for corals. Did you get corals yet?? How long is your tank outside to outside?? Can you post a pic on what you hung your lights from--maybe a floor to ceiling shot. Thanks your tank looks real good.

So far I really like the lights, I ordered some corals they should prob get here tuesday I hope.

I will measure the tank tom when get a chance I know it is a little over 30" long.

I will also post a picture of how it is hanging, fishneedit sent a hanging kit with the lights, all I did was put some sheet rock achors in the ceiling and screw them in.

Back